Android: contextual action bar appears all white on 4.4.4

maybe you've (Nelson) noticed in a later video or i have typed something wrong, but on android 5.0 the contextual action bar appears fine. on 4.4.4 it appears white with white text. it still works, as in the cancel and save buttons are there, just not visible because of the colour scheme.

so has anyone else noticed this?
    Last edited by freddyhard; 06-10-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: image link
    When in Rome, don't laugh at the Romans

i can't believe i didn't find this sooner.
    i just added these 2 items to my styles.xml
    Code:
    <item name="android:actionModeBackground">@color/primary_dark</item>
    <item name="actionModeBackground">@color/primary_dark</item>

Quote Originally Posted by freddyhard View Post
    i can't believe i didn't find this sooner.
    i just added these 2 items to my styles.xml
    Code:
    <item name="android:actionModeBackground">@color/primary_dark</item>
    <item name="actionModeBackground">@color/primary_dark</item>
    Hm, that's odd. I was using an Android 4.4.4 device for testing and with Genymotion's VM. Are you sure you're extending from the "Theme.AppCompat.Light.NoActionBar" theme? Also, make sure your activities inherit from android.support.v7.app.ActionBarActivity
    Need any help? Feel free to PM me - or send an email directly to nelson@3dbuzz.com!

i removed the first line since we are using app compat and not android, which had no effect, but the second line does effect versions of android under 5.0.

it was on the VTM App 14 - Editing Fields where i noticed this. at the end you only tested on android 5.0 which appears with a dark background, but on the two VM devices running android 4.4.4 and i have a smart phone here running 4.4.2 they all appear on a white background. when i put that line in, then all versions appear with the blue background that is being used throughout.

my BaseActivity class extends ActionBarActivity and imports android.support.v7.app.ActionBarActivity and the parent AppTheme in styles is Theme.AppCompat.Light.NoActionBar. i am using android studio 1.2.1.1. i could easily have made a mistake in the code somewhere, but so far the app is behaving as expected.

That's odd, as I said I just fired up my Genymotion 4.4.4 VM and it worked just fine. Are you using the Genymotion images? Or a different virtual device/emulator?
    Need any help? Feel free to PM me - or send an email directly to nelson@3dbuzz.com!

i'm using Genymotion as you had shown at the start of the series. but this happens with a real smart phone i have connected to my PC as well. it's using android 4.4.2. i can give you a link to the current git repository if you want. you can PM me a public key and i'll add it to bitbucket. i only finished App 22 last night, so i'm not far along the build.
    i'm following your VTM's nearly to an exact copy. the only difference that i can see is i'm using a slightly newer version of android studio.

Hmmm shouldn't we start using toolbars already?

We are using toolbars, but i think this is a quick over ride on the current toolbar. Nelson would give a better explanation.

i'm using Genymotion as you had shown at the start of the series
    Bai thuoc chua viem da co dia , benh a sung, benh vay nen hieu qua |

We are using toolbars, but i think this is a quick over ride on the current toolbar. Nelson would give a better explanation.