Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is Web Development a good career choice?

I need a career change and noticed my local university offers Web Development part-time. I cannot find any good source for information on the future of web development as a career. Will the jobs of the future increase, stay the same or decline. I am already in a career that is dying due to offshoring (hate it) and lack of investment dollars (has never recovered from the recent crashes).

I have read some posts in other forums and some say it does not have a good future and others say it does.

Any thoughts would be grateful. I hope this is the correct forum to post in.

I think that people will always need websites (simple and advanced) so that career choice is good by me.

I'm a webdeveloper for some years and I'm not complaining

carolske, where did you learn and where would you suggest I start?

I played around with HTML in the past, but have forgotten what I learned and only created a basic webpage. From google searches I found that I should learn HTML/CSS/JavaScripts/JQuery), PHP, MySQL, CMS (Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress). Man, that is a lot to learn.

There is a local school that offers 2 Web development certificates; Associate Certificate (good for junior positions) and certificate (senior positions). It is online and part-time; good for me since I work most of the time.

I googled jobs available in the Vancouver area (BC) and there seems to be a number of them. I think I will take a course and see how it goes. If anything, I can use the tuition for a tax break.

I'm no expert, but from what I gathered with my own research, it's probably good to recommend looking into ASP.NET. According to many people it has grown in popularity a lot and has the fasted growing communities around it, whereas PHP community growth has somewhat come to a full-stop. At least from what I read on the interwebs.

I've recently started digging into ASP.NET myself, unwilling to wait for the upcoming web-development class(es) and I must say, no matter how steep the initial learning curve is and taken into account that I've done the 101, 102 and 103 classes for C#, I'm really digging it so far. The possibilities seem to be much greater than working with PHP.

Like I said, I'm no expert though. I'm just a beginner myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nGAGE View Post
    I'm no expert, but from what I gathered with my own research, it's probably good to recommend looking into ASP.NET. According to many people it has grown in popularity a lot and has the fasted growing communities around it, whereas PHP community growth has somewhat come to a full-stop. At least from what I read on the interwebs.

I've recently started digging into ASP.NET myself, unwilling to wait for the upcoming web-development class(es) and I must say, no matter how steep the initial learning curve is and taken into account that I've done the 101, 102 and 103 classes for C#, I'm really digging it so far. The possibilities seem to be much greater than working with PHP.
    So, out of the video lessons here on 3DBuzz, is C# a good starting point? Or should I look elsewhere and start with HTML? I understand that HTML5 is the latest. But, from my searches, it seems that HTML4 or 4.01(or something like that) is the norm for now. In the meantime I will look into ASP.NET. Thanks.

You will most definitely need to be familiar with HTML, CSS and JavaScript in any web-development environment. Personally I've kept my JavaScripting to a minimum. Basic HTML4 and CSS2.1 knowledge should be a requirement, with a recommendation on getting familiar with HTML5 and even moreso CSS3.

C# tutorials here on the site were a great tool for me to learn C#. The lessons had nothing to do with web-development really, but it will teach you all the basics and some advanced stuff that you need IMO. From there at least I'm not feeling anywhere near lost when looking at ASP.NET. Now it's just learning how ASP.NET MVC apps are build. Design principles etc. It's a bit hard to explain in just a few words.

To be fair, I've been messing around with HTML and CSS for years (nothing serious) and did some efforts with PHP. So I had a little head-start in that regard, so to speak. At the moment, I just don't like to program in anything other than C# and combining it with HTML and CSS comes quite natural for me as I know the basics.

I guess it would be good to start with anything really. Plain HTML & CSS for styling for a start. Then try your hand at some PHP and C# basics to decide which you like to focus on. That's the best I could recommend. I'm sure Nelson would be the best person to ask around here where you should start, really!

A friend of mine just gave me a site to check out. It's called Codecademy. I will check it out later tonight.

Edit:

Codecademy is not a bad site for learning. I created a basic webpage within their editor using HTML, inserting an image, inserting a link to the image and writing paragraphs. All in a short time. Tomorrow on with the next lessons of HTML. I apparently have 100mb of space through my internet provider for a webpage. I will use that space for testing when I am ready to create my own real webpage.
    Last edited by cyclingg; 03-06-2013 at 10:31 PM.

You will quickly find that using your webhost's provided space may have limitation and this not really a recommended development environment either.

I would recommend one of 3 options:

Use local software to host a test-environment:
    - Download localhost software such as WAMP or XAMPP to install and run a local test-server. They include PHP and MySQL dat

Or use Microsoft's free tools:
    Download and install microsoft's WebPlatformInstaller.
    - Under 'Products' select 'Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web' and install it. It should install all dependencies, including IIS-Express (web-server). You should now have a nice editor and local test server.
    - Download and install 'Microsoft WebMatrix 2'. This is a smaller, yet quite useful tool for editing that includes local-server for testing as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, nGAGE. That sounds a lot better. I will download them now.

The more I think about this, the more I am feel this is the route for a career change I should take. I enjoy it and for once I would like to work at something I actually enjoy. Then it should't be a chore getting to work.

Quote Originally Posted by nGAGE View Post
    Or use Microsoft's free tools:
    Download and install microsoft's WebPlatformInstaller.
    - Under 'Products' select 'Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web' and install it. It should install all dependencies, including IIS-Express (web-server). You should now have a nice editor and local test server.
    - Download and install 'Microsoft WebMatrix 2'. This is a smaller, yet quite useful tool for editing that includes local-server for testing as well.
    I downloaded and installed 'Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web'. When I started it, there is a message that states that "this product will expire in 17 days." I thought it was free? I did not receive any product key. Where do you get the product key? I clicked on the Register Online and the questions asked sounded like you have to have a business? I did not fill it out (didn't feel like giving Microsoft more info).

Is Visual Studio Express free or do you have to pay for it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast