Forum request Torque3D

Personally I've gotten hook on the tools available for Torque3D as well as the 3ds Max type work flow that makes dropping in art asset a snap so being artistically minded I took a bit of a look around for sites and information directly relating to asset development and construction but at the moment there is little out there that is not fragmented code based on the need to support Torque3D as a engine.

What would be nice is a topic board that is aimed more towards the use of Torque3D as a general 3d application and and as to fit and finish of art assets in general.

I've always been interested in the Torque engine, even before it went openSource, (...altho' it's a case of 'add it to the toDo list') and its own forum section would be nice, if it got any foot-fall.

...the 3ds Max type work flow that makes dropping in art asset a snap
    Sounds good, can ya expand on the workflow any??
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie V View Post
    Personally I've gotten hook on the tools available for Torque3D as well as the 3ds Max type work flow that makes dropping in art asset a snap so being artistically minded I took a bit of a look around for sites and information directly relating to asset development and construction but at the moment there is little out there that is not fragmented code based on the need to support Torque3D as a engine.

What would be nice is a topic board that is aimed more towards the use of Torque3D as a general 3d application and and as to fit and finish of art assets in general.
    I don't think I will be opening a torque forum, but I'm not against a general game engine forum with a prefix for torqu that people can pretend their threads with.
    Need any help? Feel free to PM me - or send an email directly to nelson@3dbuzz.com!

Well what sparked my spidey senses is Torque does support Collada. It's not FBX but does have some level of cross platform DCC abilities that makes it possible to move DCC based content from one application into another and maintain the original build elements.

In my book if an application has FBX then it's worth the time and effort just to see what it has to offer.

The bad news is at this time GG is focusing on the open source/MIT spin so getting Torque up and running is a bit of an effort but once I did get the world build working right away I saw that the UI set up was something close to the same UI I use in 3ds Max. That’s to say things were in places you would expect them to be with no mystery meat hidden in out of the way places.

Between how FBX (Collada) is suppose to work and an identifiable UI I already know and have learned that all one really needs to do is to export to one of these two formats and whatever is done in one application will transfer from one application into another intact as per the origin of the asset.

Not as push button as FBX but follow a few build rules not hard at all to export content, mesh textures and animations, into a folder and a few clicks in it comes.

Identifying the duck Torque is a real time rendering system with a event driven sub-system that produces a predictable result each and every time you use it so if you do your set up based on the camera perspective it would be really easy to produce an animated feature film in short order.

Once if and when Torque does get a fully implemented FBX channel chores like managing textures paths will be transparent and the “desire” for real time rendering in general is solved.
    Last edited by Frankie V; 01-26-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by <> View Post
    I don't think I will be opening a torque forum, but I'm not against a general game engine forum with a prefix for torqu that people can pretend their threads with.
    We would have to merge Unreal and Unity into it and that could get messy (also why are they in programming anyway ...)

Also did you mean pretend? Not sure it works in that context ...
    Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 01-26-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
    We would have to merge Unreal and Unity into it and that could get messy (also why are they in programming anyway ...)

Also did you mean pretend? Not sure it works in that context ...
    Not to mention that one would have to merge the CryEngine Tech into that, too. Perhaps a general Game Engine Tech Forum with subforums for engine-specific issues would come into play here?
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

we don't have a cry engine fourm so it wouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
    we don't have a cry engine fourm so it wouldn't be an issue.
    Don't you dare try to insert logic into WedgeBob's world. The whole thing will come crumbling down!

I'm all for a general forum targeted towards DCC as Digitally Created Content is not owned by a single application along with it limitations. Anything that supports FBX could be included as a topic of discussion as FBX is not just another file format.

Personally I believe this to be the one thing missing from the 3dBuzz line up as most of the stuff around here is geared more towards code and the building of assets through process.

Garage Games releasing both the engine and world build code, and under MIT to boot, they have not only given away a nice cookie but the whole cookie jar.

If I was UDK or Unity the other guy just blinked.