Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Looking good!

The RMB for camera is an odd choice, brings up the webplayer menu (go fullscreen and all that), which locks the character and spams the error tune.

Keep the updates coming
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Yes, it's time to modify the third person controller a little My focus has on combat and dialog (press E on the cube and capsule to bring up), so the only camera system modification I've done for now is to disable Die and Jump. I think the camera system will have to be heavily simplified to work with touch. I'll have to test, but a static camera system may be better for my purposes, and easier production wise. Thanks for taking a look at it.

Progress – week 7

The biggest change from last is probably the implementation of random combat encounters. I opted for random encounters as opposed to charging monsters in the field for simplicity's sake (saving a lot of work on animation, AI etc.). Combat is initiated when the player has walked more than a random number of steps.

There is also a new transition from field to combat, but it still needs some work; I'll try overlaying some sort of effect image. After combat, a new field scene is loaded, so I had to store the player's position before and set the position after combat. I'm still having a little trouble with the camera though. As it is now, the camera always starts in the same direction, not in the last direction before combat. Unlike the player, the camera's position and rotation can't be directly after combat.

I also changed camera movement from right to left mouse button, which is a better fit for the web player. But I still think it will need something pretty different for touch screens.

Try it out! (should work in Chrome btw)

Week 7 Demo

Progress – week 9

Since I have a basic skeleton for combat going, I decided to start working on the main menu, specifically the sub-menu that I've called "Book of Knowledge" so that I can test out if the basic learning premise works. This is the screen where the player can rehearse learned material, as well as get an overview of questions' status, which can be 1) hidden/not encountered, 2) unlocked question, 3) unlocked question and answers/explanation etc).

The flow of the main menu is to first choose between book of knowledge, items, equipment etc. Under BoK there are a number of learning modules (psychology, biology, history etc). When one of these is chosen, the proper question set should load to the left. The player then chooses a question, and the content in the main windows are set.

I can see there might be a problem with finding the right question in the list, as I don't have room to spell out much of the question, and will have to refer to it by its number. But I don't have any better ideas right now. I don't know if it's apparent, but three of the windows are scrollable.

I'm happy for any feedback on the design and functionality!

This is pretty blurred, so press the image it to try out the menu in the web player:

I've started sketching out ideas to figure out how I want my protagonist to look like. I'm aiming for a 10 year old school boy. He should look cute and smart, but weak, as he won't be attacking physically. His purse is mainly for carrying his trusty book of knowledge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoK Protagonist concept 1 small.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	73510  

Update

I've taken a break from programming, and started on some 3d assets. Monsters is a good place to start, as you can't go wrong no matter what you do. And there's going to be plenty of them, so might as well start. I've modeled and textured three monsters, but have yet to rig and animate them (which definitely is one of my weak spots). I'm not going to sculpt/ use normal maps, because I would have to keep that level of detail consistent, and I simply don't have the time.

I'm not sure what polycount I should target. I'm planning for only one monster at the time in combat, plus the player (maybe 5000 polys) and a background scene (10-20 000?). My target is the iPad 3, but it would be nice if previous iPads could run it.

I think I've used around 5-6 hours on each of these. The concepts were done in 15 min, the modeling took 1-2 h each, and uv layout and texturing took most of the time and are hand painted. The images are screen shots from Maya, using viewport 2.0.

Stone Giant
    Not sure how this will animate, as it has no feet and will have to support itself on the arms or levitate. I'm purposefully avoiding legs to simplify animation. I'll probably make different versions of the same model: one that attacks physically with burning hands (particles in unity), and one that shoots out beams from the eye and/or tummy.

Slime Ghost
    These are my favorites. They can attack physically or cast magic from their mouths.

Hammer Plant
    The hammer plant is disguised as a regular flower, and will smash down it's oblivious prey. It can't move, but has a long reach. The stem will flex and swing around, getting good momentum before it hits (think chain mace).

Liking the models chap, altho' 1500 seams a bit high for the Hammer Plant.

Any chance of seeing some wires/texture sheets?
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Yeah, I think it's all the leaves that makes up most of the polys. Now that I think about it, maybe I could use one mesh for all the large leaves, instead of having individual meshes. I'll upload some wires and textures

Wires and textures

This is going to be an image heavy post

I can see now that there's no use in taking up space with the entire interior of the slime ghost's mouth, so I might as well combine the two versions into one texture map. I could also reduce the polys at the hammer.

C&C welcome!

And by the way, it's my birthday now

If your using Visual Studio i would recommend getting UnityVS to allow you to properly step through your code to debug an issue. I think it basically attaches the debugger to unity to allow you to step through your code. http://unityvs.com/

$99 is worth the hair loss. And if you don't have Visual Studio there is an free express version, just with limited features so check out the comparison first.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast