Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Progress – week 6

OK, I haven't updated in a while, and there are not a lot of visible changes. I've used most of the time to restructure and integrate everything, Once I began refactoring, everything fell apart, and I had to rebuild a lot.

New features:
    - Persistence between scenes. A GameManager singleton keeps track of references and player stats. The NGUI UI panel also persists, but is invisible without any children (which are destroyed). Other objects are made temporary persistent by adding them to a GameManager list.
    - Player exp is affected by combat results, but there is currently no leveling.
    - The game runs in a Finite State Machine. This separates the game logic and objects for combat, town, field, menus etc. A separate scene is usually associated with different states.
    - Combat runs in a separate sub FSM.
    - An auto-fade class fades scenes automatically during state transitions. I will probably customize this for some different camera effects during combat encounters.

Try it out!
    Use the right mouse button for camera movement, and move around with WASD. Press E to interact with the capsule and cube. The first will prompt a dialog, while the second initiates combat (encounters will be random later). There is not much else to do, and all the objects are temporary.

Week 6 - Demo
    Last edited by Metanol; 02-21-2013 at 07:12 AM.

I don't suppose you could make this "progress" sort of like a step of tutorials? Itll help many more advance beyond 3D Buzz's character controller.

I myself am stuck on implementing a walk and crouch state; due to the controller already having a "move forward left right back" each of which calls a state...

How can i introduce a walk and crouch to this with the implementation of a getkeydown to activate that state?

I'm trying to give a high level overview of my design and implementation to get some feedback on my approach and general game play. If anybody can learn or be inspired by some of it, then great! But I'm afraid doing tutorials on this would require way too much time. If anyone is interested in a particular implementation, I'll be happy to share how I approached the problem, but I simply can't do that on everything. Especially since I'm not particularly experienced in Unity, and am fumbling around with, and looking up a lot of the Unity specific stuff.

As far as your specific problem goes, I'll give an answer in the other thread

I tried downloading your app but I keep being sent to the Untiy web player download page. Despite installing the web player and the engine that goes with it, it still does the same thing. Any ideas?

That's weird. I haven't had any problems running it on several machines. Have you tried using Firefox, I don't think Unity web player supports Chrome. Does other unity games work for you in the same browser?

Anyone else having problems?

Hi,

I've posted on my thread; hopefully you might understand what I'm requireing abit more with the additional info

cheers and greatly appreciated

david

Quote Originally Posted by Metanol View Post
    That's weird. I haven't had any problems running it on several machines. Have you tried using Firefox, I don't think Unity web player supports Chrome. Does other unity games work for you in the same browser?
    I don't have Firefox installed but did just try in IE and get the same problem.
    Also the Unity player download page shows that it does support Chrome.
    It's really strange. Even though both browsers show that the player is installed when I click your links I always get taken to a page with a blue 'Download Unity Player' button which when clicked takes me to the actual Player download page where it shows me the current installed versions of the Unity player and Unity player engine. Both are the latest versions.

I also built a project of my own as a Web Player and it opened in Chrome just fine.

Hm, I only use firefox, but a friend of mine also had trouble with the plugin in chrome. When he tried firefox, it worked fine. He didn't have the unity web player installed, but that was easily done with a few clicks, like any other browser plugin. Unity doesn't give me any errors when building out, but if Chrome works for your projects, then maybe I need to install Chrome before exporting? I'm using Unity 3.5 btw.

Maybe it's because I only have Unity 4 installed. Anyway, no worries, keep up the good work on your game I'm sure I'll get to see it sometime

It should work on all browsers now. Turns out only Firefox can correctly read the https link that dropbox generates. Now that I've changed it to http, it should work in chrome as well; at least it does on my end.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast