rotation widget only moving object in z axis

I've been going through the blender 101 videos and i have got into a wierd state with the rotation widget. No matter which axis ring i try to move it only moves my geometry in the z axis. I've tried reloading the factory settings, but that didn't work.

I start off fresh with the default cube, select the rotation widget, try to move each axial ring and no matter what ring I attempt to move it only moves the cube in the z direction.

I think I got into this state during the blender fundamental videos, which I completed. I am able to rotate if I use the r hotkey followed by the key to the axis I want to move, but it's really frustrating not also having use of the widget since it's used so much in the videos.

Anybody else run into this problem?
    Anybody have a solution to this problem?

Thanks

I justed downloaded the latest Blender and rotation works fine for me. When you say you load factory settings, are you immediately selecting the rotation tool and trying to rotate before following any of the steps from the tutorial? I'm wondering if you're locking the axis somehow. Has rotation using the widget ever worked properly for you?

Not to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you're actually selecting different axes? Sometimes when you're zoomed out it's hard to select precisely.

Edit: By the way, when you click "Load Factory Settings" it only applies for that session unless you save it as your user settings. When you start Blender or click "New", it will load whatever changes you made to the default settings. Try clicking File->Load Factory Settings without clicking File->New, and then see if it lets you rotate properly with the rotation widget.
    Last edited by pellea72; 11-14-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment about meta keys.
    "I don't WANT to pet the chicken."

Thanks for your input.

I wish it were that simple that I wasn't grabbing the right axis.
    It did work for a while, I'm not sure when it broke exactly.
    I downloaded a fresh blender to my old computer and it works just fine as it did on this computer at the start.
    I may just do a re-install and move on at this point. I thought it was going to be an easy "you need to disable such and such"
    but it actually is starting to seem like a blender bug.

I'll try and post a screen capture which should answer all of your concerns, hopefully you can play the video.

http://screencast.com/t/uW8Y2U5U9AF

Sorry, but I am unable to duplicate your problem when I follow the steps in your video. It still works fine for me. And I can tell from the version info on the splash screen that we are using the same release version. There are two problems I can think of:

1. Over the years I've found that when I have a problem with Blender, it is usually because of the graphics card I have on my system. Blender's interface uses OpenGL and it depends on how well the particular graphics card implements OpenGL. Old and/or cheap graphics cards sometimes don't work perfectly with Blender.

2. Sometimes when you download a program, the file becomes slightly corrupted during the transfer. Just in case, I would erase the Blender directory on your hard drive, download the program again and do a fresh install.

Number 1 is far more likely the problem than number 2, I'm afraid. And, of course, it could be something else.

my computer is only 2 months old so it has a nice graphics card. I used the software for a few weeks before the widget stopped working so I'm pretty sure it wasn't corrupted. It must be something else.

Thanks for trying

A system software or firmware update might have changed something since you first installed Blender. A reinstall of Blender might still be worth a try. I hope you get it resolved. These things can be frustrating.