Having problems with the 3rd person character tutorial for unity.

I have been trying to follow along with the tutorial on here for creating a 3rd person game, on part 4 of the 1st section it is telling how to import to unity, i have made my level and imported it to unity and it shows up gray with no texture applied. I added the checkered pattern to my texture folder and dragged it onto the diffuse material for each of my pieces but they do not show the textured pattern. They still stay the same dull gray colour. I am gettin the following error (Shader wants tangents but the mesh "partname" doesn't have them). Can anyone tell me where i am going wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

click on the material you want in the project panel - drag the texture into the texture slot (diffuse slot) in the inspector panel - then drag your material from the project panel onto the object(s) in your scene.

This is what i have been trying to do with no luck, and the (Shader wants tangents but the mesh "partname" doesn't have them) error comes up, is it possibly a problem with my level mesh?

Just to clarify i can add materials fine, i can change the colour to make it different colours but these just show as block colours and when i add the texture it doesnt change a thing

I have just created a cube in Unity and added the checkered material and that works ok so this tells me it is something to do with my export from Maya that has caused the problem. any ideas people?