Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please help me understand C++

I am a complete novice with C++. I'm currently using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and inserting images using Adobe Photoshop. I'm currently a student learning how to use .h and .cpp files, but the terminology is extremly complicated for me. I don't know if I'm just a complete moron and can't get my head wrapped around it, but can someone please explain C++ using proper english language that's easy to understand, none of that geek mumbo jumbo. If someone does post a response, I'll try to post a reply if I can understand what you are typing out.

I suggest participating in the C++ live classes here on 3D Buzz. You have to be a sponsor member, though, which costs $35/month. But then you get access to ALL videos on this site!

I believe the first week was free: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...ek-Free-to-All!

An older post of mine
    The first week was offered free to join, participate and watch (as a demo) to help people have an idea about how the course looks like.

The links (with thanks to @woz2601)
    Monday_Week1_C++101
    Friday_Week1_C++101
    Explaining to you in proper, easy to understand, English the concepts that I know wouldn't do the subject justice. There is a reason why people seek professional guidance as opposed to forum users.

You see, lets say I told you that 2 + 2 = 4 and that 2 + 3 = 5 but what happens if I told you that 2 + 4 = 7? There is the possibility that I might do it and there is the possibility that you will continue your career with believing it to be so. Going further, you get hired or get to have a project where you encounter the more intermediate exercises like 2x + 4X + y + z = y - 2. With my answers you will get a hindered result. In another case, imagine me telling the results right but in a horrific manner. You will be forever haunted by that concept and will try to avoid it wherever you go. Even if the concept is powerful as addition.

The conclusion is that this subject should be, and is, explained by people who are knowledgeable enough to guide you well and also guide you right.

PS: For headers, I truly suggest looking at both the Monday and Friday lectures on week 3(?) or 4(?) of the 101 course.

I suggest you get a decent programming book to start

Programming Principles and Practice in C++ by bjarne stroustrup is a good start.

The C++ 101 courses here are also excellent however nelson and gavin throw terms around all the time as it is part of their daily lingo at this point. So prepare to hear things like "stack" all the time.

You might be interested in having a look at the C++ tutorials on my website here: http://www.marek-knows.com/downloads.php5?vmk=cpp

I tried to explain things as simply as possible, if you still need more help with a particular subject let me know and I'll create a tutorial on that topic for you.
    C++, 3D OpenGL and Game Programming video tutorials:
    www.MarekKnows.com
    Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

Sorry I never got the chance earlier to say thanks to everyone for responding, I'll try my best to understand it and hopefully get your full support again.

its hard to just learn someone c++ ive had c++ teached to me for over a year and a half and i still only know the basics and i get stuff pretty quickly with programming (i understand the concepts very fast) so my advice is to start with C just so you get the hang of variables functions loops if etc then move over to C++ since C++ is based on C
    if you start with c++ without proper guidance from a teacher (it being in real life or from the 3dbuzz videos here) you're going to get "lost" and burn out on learning it

my 2 cents
    Life is too short to worry about things

I highly suggest the C++ Live Classes, I personally loved the Joe 2005 C++ videos. They are outdated by now.
    But the way Joe and Jason represented the VTs was so great.
    I believe you can try it out and see if it helps.

Good luck.

What I've done is utilized every single resource I can find, both physically and on the internet! Books, articles, RSS Feeds, blogs, among many other ways.

The best way, though, is read other people's code. It really helps to understand the HOW of implementation in various ways.
    Intel Core i3 2120 running @ 3.30 Ghz && 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1333Mhz && XFX Radeon HD 6850 @ 1920x1080 && 600w PSU && 2TB In-Case Storage (Boot drive: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD) && ASUS P8H77-V LE Mobo && ThermalTake Tsunami Dream Case && Black Widow Mechanical Keyboad && Thermaltake Black Gaming Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by b1nary View Post
    What I've done is utilized every single resource I can find, both physically and on the internet! Books, articles, RSS Feeds, blogs, among many other ways.

The best way, though, is read other people's code. It really helps to understand the HOW of implementation in various ways.
    i would add look at peoples code who know how to properly code
    Life is too short to worry about things

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast