Zing - My new game has been released

Hi everyone,

I finished creating a game which I called Zing, and I posted it online for people to download and play.

http://www.marek-knows.com/phpBB3/vi...php?f=30&t=682

Give it a try and let me know what you think. Note that the gun used in the game is actually the Socom Pistol that I made from the Maya Advanced Modeling course
    C++, 3D OpenGL and Game Programming video tutorials:
    www.MarekKnows.com
    Play my free games: Ghost Toast, Zing, Jewel Thief

Couple things,
    A) Does it really need to be installed? Couldn't you just zip up the folder then we can unzip it and play it?
    B) There's no uninstall shortcut in the start menu folder
    C) It wouldn't open on my computer. Don't know if it was the game or my computer. Either way, when I clicked it, nothing happened, I didn't even see the process open up in my task manager.

it didnt seem to work either for me at first but when i ran it as administrator (win 7 64bit) then it did work
    Last edited by xmanneke; 07-13-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo

A) Yes I could have just zipped it, but I thought that an installer would be easier for users to use
    B) Good point. I forgot to put an uninstall shortcut. If you go to the Control Panel and Uninstall, you will find it in the list.
    C) Hmm, have a look in the installed directory for the logger.txt file. What does it say there?
    www.MarekKnows.com

The "hang man" style game installed and ran ok. I agree with Command0 that an uninstaller short cut should be added to the start menu. I saw Full screen and Windowed short cuts but Windowed still ran full screen. I did not see any command line differences between the two.
    One other annoying thing was being forced to watch the credits. Sorry but the user should get to choose whether they want to view them or not. Here's where adding a simple menuing system is ideal. You can add Credits link there. In any case you should allow a key press or mouse click to bail from the credits screen. Task Manager helped me exit in this case.

Overall I'd say this game is a good start to something that can be built on to give it some added features.

EDIT: Argh! After uninstalling the game with Control Panel there were remnants of the program left. The root directory in Program File was not removed because the log file was still there. Bad form!
    Last edited by smjones; 07-13-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Code Fearlessly!

I'll have a look at the windowed shortcut. Does the windowed shortcut on the desktop work properly?

Thanks for the feedback about the scrolling credits. I'll add the option to allow the user to quick the credits screen.
    www.MarekKnows.com

Yes the Windowed mode shortcut on the desktop does start the app in Windowed mode. Just not the Start menu shortcut with the same name.
    Code Fearlessly!

I just uploaded an updated version of Zing. This one fixes the windowed mode shortcut, I added an uninstall shortcut to the start menu, and you can cancel from the scrolling credit screen now, and when you uninstall Zing, everything should now be cleaned up correctly.

Additionally if something goes wrong when trying to play the game, a dialog will now pop up telling you what is wrong.
    www.MarekKnows.com