Unhappy Maya Fundamentals Project 2 Alien Mesh problem

I'm going through the Maya Fundamentals set of lessons and I'm all the way into the middle of Project 2 Rigging my Alien.

This is what it looks like when it's standing upright.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-06-22 at 8.36.30 PM.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	72874

This is what it looks like when the joints are rotated to move the alien's spine. What am I doing wrong?? Basically the skin around the eyeball rips off and goes haywire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-06-22 at 8.37.00 PM.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	72875

If you want to see the files, here is a link to my DropBox. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41270052/Ship.ma

I've been working diligently with this course all week! I love it and I've learned so much! This is the first real issue I've come across. Please help if you can! I'd be forever grateful.

Michael

At first glance it looks like your weighting is off.

Have a look at section 11 - Rigging the alien
    05_intro to skinning
    06_skinning the alien

I don't have Maya installed at the moment so unfortunately I can't look at your file.

I took a look at the file you provided but unfortunately it had some errors and the body didn't appear to be weighted in the version you sent but the eyeball was weighted properly. From the pictures, it looked like you had some extra bone's influencing the part around the eye, so go back and check your skin weights for each bone and look for some that might be affecting the eye area.

On a side note, I believe your normals are flowing in the wrong direction which could cause future rendering issues. This may be a problem in the on you sent me but I would check on your's as well. To do this... Select the AliensSurface>Display>NURBS>Normals

You should see little lines coming from the center of each face on the mesh. These need to be pointing out of the body to get proper rending, in the one you gave me they are going inside of the body. So make sure you go into the mesh and check it out thoroughly and if your normals need to be fixed you can simply do Edit Nurbs>Reverse Surface Direction. (It should be the default options for your particular issue, but could change due to other scenarios)

To remove the normals from displaying, just repeat Display>NURBS>Normals to toggle them off. I hope this makes since and helps out a little.

-Dane
    You know you want to!