Thread: Rendering

Hybrid View

Rendering

When rendering out a scene is it possible to make Max render more than one frame at a time. I have access to a render machine that has 2 processors and 6 cores per processor, with the frames I am rendering this no where near uses this machine to it's full potential, is there a way of getting Max to render a frame per core?

So it would essentially be rendering 12 frames at a time, or something similar along these lines.

Cheers

I am no expert but in my copy of 3ds Max 2012 there is a Multi-threading checkbox in Customize - Preferences - Rendering (tab). It was checked already. According to the specs it already utilizes up to 16 threads (ie. cores/hyperthreads, etc) if available. I think older versions allowed you to specify the number of threads to use. (Maybe it still does in the latest version of 3ds Max but I couldn't find it).
    This applies to the built-in scanline renderer.

Now to your question. Can you specify a certain frames for certain available threads? I do not know but my guess is that when rendering that single frame it is using multiple threads to do it. Spreading out frames to threads doesn't appear to be an option from what I could tell. But again I am not an expert user so there may be a way.
    Code Fearlessly!

Quote Originally Posted by WeLarveIt View Post
    So it would essentially be rendering 12 frames at a time, or something similar along these lines.

Cheers
    Unless you have a stand alone rendering solution rendering 12 frames at the same time would require to 12 copies of Max running. Twelve scenes would need to be loaded each needing RAM allocated for each of the 12 frames you are rendering. For all but the simplest scene you would quickly run out of RAM and be dealing with slooooow disk swapping at best and more likely freezing or crashes.

Modern renderers like mental ray and VRay can use multiple threads to render single frames. A lot of shortcuts can be used with multiple threads too. With single frame multiple thread rendering there are certain efficiencies that you get such as sharing raytrace array calculations with other threads working on the same frame.
    Ndege Diamond - Nezach Hod

On a single machine rendering speed is relative to the number of cores or threads available as a sum total of the output. The normal approach to a speedy rendering is to use Mental Ray even when using identical settings that produces a result as you would get with the scanline.

The difference is MR can and does use what’s referred to as a bucket fill and the number of buckets you get is equal to the number of cores your current processor has.

So math wise if you have 4 cores then your rendering speed, in theory, is four times the speed you would normally get using the scan line rendering system.

Trying to increase rendering speed by attempting to scan line 4 renderings at the same time, and in theory, would require 4 times the amount of available resources so in all probability your rendering hit is going to land up being 4 times the normal scan line result.

I have 8 GB reserved for other applications. Of the 24 CPUs available to AE, 18 are reserved for other applications (6 CPUs to be used by AE) and for the RAM allocation per CPU, I have it set to 8GB RAM per CPU. Not sure what else to try or if in fact my assumption of using MP rendering would be faster than not using it with 96 GB RAM

Of course you can render more than one frame. There is a multi threading option in 3DSMAX. I don’t know about this much. I am just telling this after consulting about this with my friend. I hope this helps you.

--------------------------
    CORBIN GRAVELY
    International School in Oman
    Last edited by pondshus2; 04-05-2018 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Changed profile data

Quote Originally Posted by pondshus2 View Post
    Of course you can render more than one frame. There is a multi threading option in 3DSMAX. I don’t know about this much. I am just telling this after consulting about this with my friend. I hope this helps you.
    [/url]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie V View Post
    On a single machine rendering speed is relative to the number of cores or threads available as a sum total of the output. The normal approach to a speedy rendering is to use Mental Ray even when using identical settings that produces a result as you would get with the scanline.

Does VigRx Plus work? Read this https://dudehung.com/vigrx-plus-review-results-2016 to find out. The difference is MR can and does use what’s referred to as a bucket fill and the number of buckets you get is equal to the number of cores your current processor has.

So math wise if you have 4 cores then your rendering speed, in theory, is four times the speed you would normally get using the scan line rendering system.

Trying to increase rendering speed by attempting to scan line 4 renderings at the same time, and in theory, would require 4 times the amount of available resources so in all probability your rendering hit is going to land up being 4 times the normal scan line result.
    Where is this option?
    Last edited by Emory; 09-22-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbrett5 View Post
    I have 8 GB reserved for other applications. Of the 24 CPUs available to AE, 18 are reserved for other applications (6 CPUs to be used by AE) and for the RAM allocation per CPU, I have it set to 8GB RAM per CPU. Not sure what else to try or if in fact my assumption of using MP rendering would be faster than not using it with 96 GB RAM
    What I know is that you can render more than one frame as 3DSMAX allows for a multi threading option.

Today is my lucky day to find your great website online, awesome! and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.
    me also to 8 GB reserved for other applications. Of the 24 CPUs available to AE, 18 are reserved for other applications (6 CPUs to be used by AE)
    There is a multi threading option in 3DSMAX. I don’t know about this much. I am just telling this after consulting about this with my friend. I hope this helps you.

Trying to increase rendering speed by attempting to scan line 4 renderings at the same time, and in theory, would require 4 times the amount of available resources so in all probability your rendering hit is going to land up being 4 times the normal scan line result. On a single machine rendering speed is relative to the number of cores or threads available as a sum total of the output. The normal approach to a speedy rendering is to use Mental Ray even when using identical settings that produces a result as you would get with the scanline. Not sure what else to try or if in fact my assumption of using MP rendering would be faster than not using it with 96 GB RAM