Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can we talk more about the project, rather than managing the project? I'm currently starting out on this project team, and at the moment it's pretty comfortable. The short and simple of it is: if you want to get into game development and have never been on a team before, this is probably your best chance right now.
    I'm so negative, like an electron.

Quote Originally Posted by IronSoul View Post
    Can we talk more about the project, rather than managing the project?
    Well, a lack of project management is usually what leads to so, so many of these endeavors to fall apart. I'm saddened by the number of similar online game development projects that lead a similar fate, even on this very forum. There needs to be a structure in place before the creative ideas start flowing.

This is one of the more serious-looking projects I've seen on 3DBuzz. Props to you for the detailed presentation, and the game sounds fun. I also want to make a turn-based RPG, but sadly I don't have time to commit properly to a project of this scope.

I don't understand what the "real life" simulator has to do with the dungeon crawling part. It sounds like two separate games. Or will the friendships affekt who will join you in battle?

Quote Originally Posted by IronSoul View Post
    Can we talk more about the project, rather than managing the project?
    Quote Originally Posted by Streeter View Post
    Well, a lack of project management is usually what leads to so, so many of these endeavors to fall apart. I'm saddened by the number of similar online game development projects that lead a similar fate, even on this very forum. There needs to be a structure in place before the creative ideas start flowing.
    Very much agree with Streeter on this. The team's foundation is critical for a chance at success. The project may still fail even given a strong foundation but at least it will have a chance if you have developed the foundation first, keyword "first"!! not "during" because you need to do this ahead of time. As a team member you need to look for evidence of this foundation. Things to look for are clear roles for team members, clear communication channels for everyone on the team, accessibility for the stuff you are supposed to be working on as part of the team. Your team needs a "king" too (or "queen", not trying to be sexist! ). I can't stress that enough. I have personally seen teams meet their destruction because of "design by committee". That almost never works. Your team must have a strong leader who can make the tough decisions when there is conflict. Yes, they should allow team members to make some of their own decisions but when the "kingdom" is in jeopardy because of too many conflicting decisions the "king" needs to rule. I am sure some will chime in here and point out successes from corporate team leadership but those are corner cases I assure you.

Well not knowing your team or your project your particular case may be fine. But they did post in a public forum so you should be prepared for different types of discussions from the diverse opinions found here.
    Code Fearlessly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12