Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MMO Class

MMO Class

While I'm completely aware that this post is going to make me look pretty dumb, I don't know where else to go :-\

I've done a lot of searching around the interned, and I've read a couple textbooks on XNA now. Most of these tutorials and books tend to focus on 2D, which I'm not interested in. I know it's necessary to understand the concepts, but I want to move on to 3D. That being said, I think it's a good idea to move on to Unity.

So question 1 is: Is this a good idea? Or should I stick with XNA which I already know a bit about?
    and question 2: How do I access the MMO class on this site? I went to the video page, and didn't have access, so I figured I had to pay for the class, but I can't find where to do so.

Thanks guys, and I'll be seeing you around after the tutorials on this site!

this may help you MMO link

note there is more than one page so be ready to read
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

Ah ha! That's the article I read earlier, but I didn't see the page select dropdown at the end >.< Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xietep View Post
    So question 1 is: Is this a good idea? Or should I stick with XNA which I already know a bit about?
    I attened a Unity meetup last night and was chatting with a couple game developers and they are under the impression that Microsoft has pretty much killed XNA. I don't know if this is completely true as i have not had the time to reseach it but I thought I'd pass along the information they gave me.

2: How do I access the MMO class on this site? I went to the video page, and didn't have access, so I figured I had to pay for the class, but I can't find where to do so.
    You have to be a member sponsor to the site (well worth it) and then if there is room in the class you can request a seat. You should PM Zak to get more detailed information about enter the MMO class.

Ah, I will do both! From what I've read so far on these forums, the community seems absolutely amazing! Thanks for the direction

Quote Originally Posted by Lerich View Post
    Microsoft has pretty much killed XNA.
    I can't speak for the PC & 360 implementations but XNA is very much alive & kicking on Windows Phone 7 (and it's awesome )

Why do we have to be invited to the class? I just want to work through the videos on my own. And there is some token system? Can't find that anywhere. Only reason to pay for a subscription for unity is the MMO classes really.

I just want to be able to pay for a product and receive it and there is no option for that? If they think it should be an extra cost then just make it cost extra. I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is apparently I have to wait for a "spot" and use some stupid token system when I just want to watch some videos? I can't even trial the first couple?

All these concerns and questions are covered in our article: www.3dbuzz.com/mmo

Speaking of the article and the MMO Class, I am a little confused on the section about late-comers. Maybe it's that I don't fully understand the format of the class, but my impression was that it was live sessions. But this section on tokens says that if I join right now, I can't just jump in where you're at now. So does that mean that I would only have access to the old month 1 videos, then my 2nd month, I'd gain access to the 2nd month videos, etc, and never be able to take part in a live session ever? I know it was mentioned that I could buy an annual subscription and get a year's worth of tokens, but is that the only options to be able to catch up? Or am I missing something? I understand that I should be required to watch all of the videos getting to the point that the class is at, but is that intentionally made impossible to do? The article was posted Feb, 2011, so assuming the class started shortly after that, that means it's been going on for over a year. Even if I did get a year sub, I STILL would never be able to catch up.

It would all make sense if there aren't any live sessions, and the "class" is just a standard set of training videos, but my impression is that is not the case.

Not trying to whine or skip ahead to the level of people who have put a lot of time in on day 1, but just trying to gain an understanding.

It was stated in the past that if you choose to sign up for the multi-month plans (annual or 3-month) you will receive tokens equal to the amount of time you have signed up for. So for example, if you get the 3-month subscription you will get 3 tokens allowing you to have access to the first three months of MMO content.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast