Thread: Day/Night Cycle

Day/Night Cycle

Hey, I saw this on the Trello board so decided to create a thread so we can discuss it in more detail here.

You guys can completely disagree with me here, and if you do, I'll accept and go with it... but, I think we should have a few rules for this thread:

-It might be best if we stuck to discussing things that happen every single day, and every single night, rather than mentioning things that can only happen on the 3rd of march or second full moon of the year.
    -Clearly state if you agree or disagree with someone's idea or not or if you half agree(suggestions expected). This way we can be absolutely sure when an idea is unanimously agreed upon.

So I was thinking by starting out with some really basic universal things(as I am still on the first month in the videos).

During the day, I think we can agree that daytime is safer than night time. So what if we reflect that by setting the security level of areas based on whether it is day or night. I don't think a universal modifier is necessarily a good idea. Perhaps we can have 2 settings for security level modification:

1. Global night sec level modification. This will be how much the security level decreases when night time comes. We'll put this in so that in areas we really don't need to worry about a custom sec level modification, it's taken care of.

2. Secondary modification. This is an optional amount that we can either add on to, or decrease from the global modification. For example, if we want to make it super dangerous in the forest at night, we can add an extra 50 points of security level reduction.

What does this mean for gameplay? Well it can affect the amount of NPCs that want to enter an area. Or perhaps it can trigger a village locking their gate until it's safer in the surrounding area(in other words, they stay locked until day time).

Perhaps another thing that happens only at night is in certain areas, say, a swamp... the really nasty monsters don't even spawn at all unless it's night time. This can mean a quest can only be completed at night, but also means a few other potential things:
    What if a quest is to move through an area, but it's full of enemy patrols during the day. At night, horrible monsters come out, so the patrols go inside. Since the monsters, while dangerous, are less intelligent than humans(or elythians), this gives the players the choice of taking on patrols, or outsmarting these creatures. It also means at night in this area, the player won't get captured, only killed.

Those are two ideas I have come up with: security level modification and monster spawning. But there are definitely a lot more (like the underworld becoming more active at night, and people moving inside their houses). I'm eager to hear what you guys have to say.
    I'm so negative, like an electron.

As far as I'm concerned having consistent day night activity was always the plan.

In my mind security levels aren't about how safe it is, it's all about how much the security agencies protect the area. Highly lit city areas might not receive a level reduction at night, especially in human areas. A possible idea would be a scaling reduction based on the day security in a bell curve; high security areas wouldn't really be effected at night, insecure areas would suffer more.

However, it all depends on exactly how we define security levels.

So can we both agree that when night comes, the movements of both security forces as well as "bandits" will affect the security level?

OK, first of the bat I am not making the same game as the 3DBuzz team does, so keep that in mind please!

My Day/Night logic wraps around patrols being sent from the guards dispatch central building. Simply put I reduce the number of guards in a group and make them move slower during the night.

Hope this gives you another idea in how to manage day/night activities that may involve security.

Yeah, that adds to the idea pool for sure.

Here's something else. Should we give all magic users a buff during the night? We could explain that by saying that Ultra Violet light hinders the spread of magic's effect. But at night, this is significantly lessened giving all magic users a 5% buff to any magical ability.

Should we give all magic users a buff during the night?
    To what end ...? This seems like a arbitrary decision. Do you want to encourage a certain player behaviour? the immediate thing that jumps to me is magic users will want to do everything at night. So that's 50% of the time they won't really want to be playing.

If you have a good basis for this suggestion beyond "I think it's cool / it will drive the story / it makes it more intersecting" I would like to hear it.

I agree that for such a bonus there should be an ulterior motive.
    For instance my planet shifts from and underwater to a wasteland like planet each couple of hours and the motive behind this is a more dynamic and richer content as well as quest and NPC behavior swapping (didn't want something cheap as The elder scrolls are doing
    ).

yeah i got nothing for that previous idea. Was really just throwing it at the wall, doesn't seem to have stuck. Should we make certain high level underworld areas locked off during the day?