Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDemigod View Post
    I wish I couldve made it to the open office hours. I hope that not showing up doesn't appear to be an indication of not trying hard. I've got a full time job and so far office hours and classes except Thursday c# are when I'm at work.

I'll watch that video tonight though.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.
    Now that I'm thinking about it, with my schedule, I could have definitely made those Monday afternoon classes without too much difficulty. Much better than Thursday nights, which would wind up taking up to the wee hours of the morning. Just didn't want to overwhelm myself between Blender and C#, even tho I would have loved both classes equally. Although Saturdays being how they are, I hardly ever really attend the Blender classes that much, either. The family always wants to go out for lunch on Saturdays, and some grocery shopping, and I'm always wanting to be here attending live classes with you guys. Tough to find that balance. Looks like I'll have to catch up with the C# 101 when I find more time to.
    Last edited by WedgeBob; 03-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by elevating View Post
    they weren't surprised you didn't show. you were even brought up. hope the reply's helped
    What? I was a subject of conversation?

Yeah the times can be rough. Thursday class being from 10pm - 2am basically makes Friday workdays a snooze when I even make it in on time. It's worth it though.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

What? I was a subject of conversation?
    yup

Yeah the times can be rough. Thursday class being from 10pm - 2am basically makes Friday workdays a snooze when I even make it in on time. It's worth it though.
    I know what you mean. I have yet to make it through a Thursday class. I'm dragging the next day. an hour earlier or a Friday would be sweet. Luckly I sometimes get home early enough to catch the Monday class
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

I actually can't believe I totally forgot about the existence of the office hours. I guess I saw that I wouldn't make it and forgot about it completely. I could've watched that video days ago. argh.
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Alright, I am working on this now.

Here's what I did to check for valid input. I made a variable called guess. I did guess.tostring and checked the length to make sure it was 3 digits. So I'm comfortable with converting the int to a string.

What I am just not seeing is how to compare that to the randomNumber once they are both parsed to a string.

(just posting that for now, I'm going to continue reading all of the rest of the posts here to see if anything sparks the solution).

At this point, I don't even care about being behind, or handing in homework, or getting the certificate. I HAVE to understand this. =)

Alright, got to the part of the open office hours where they are talking about me. Video paused. Going to see if I can do this now. I think I might see it.
    Last edited by DigitalDemigod; 03-26-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Hint: We discussed for loops in the class leading to this homework.
    Hint: You can compare 2 strings at a specific index and you can compare if (yourStringVariableName[i] == myStringVariableName[i])
    Hint: Remember for each digit in one string you need to traverse all 3 digits in the other string. You can accomplish that with a nested for loop.
    Hint: You could also use a built in string method that compares at specific index.

Thanks TF. I guess leading up to this, the biggest piece of the puzzle that had me stumped was the comparison of two strings that way.

I started making progress, but now I've broken the parts of the code that was working before. I'm going to take a break and pick this up tomorrow. I think I'll be re-writing the whole thing from scratch since my code is a disaster at the moment.
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Just remember there is always a lot of ways to skin the cat. (figure of speech for any animal rights activist reading this)

Some are more efficient some less, some terrible. Just have fun, remember this is 101 class.

don't forget you can always go to the IRC and pick somebody's brain if you are in need of some guidance
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

DD, I wish I had known that you forgot about the office hours or I would have recommended watching them. Even in the second one we went over something to help to week 3's homework, I think it was about strings and how you work as arrays, and how to index through them. I just thought you were avoiding it because you didn't want the full answer. So maybe check out the second office hours video for help, but less help. Good luck.

Also, forget that I said strings are like list of chars. What I should have said is that strings are arrays of chars.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast