Cool DirectX 11 and Video Training Series WIP

Hey Everybody!

Welcome to my DirectX 11 WIP thread. This thread has two specific focuses, firstly to improve my skills with DirectX 11, and secondly to develop a video training series covering the basics of DirectX 11 and the tools associated with the SDK.

So here's my motivation for doing this WIP on 3DBuzz. Recently i applied for, and have been offered a masters degree on Games Software Development which starts in September, and a large part of the course focuses on C++ and using DirectX to develop 3D graphics and applications. This course to me is extremely exciting and i can't wait to start!

Having already obtained a computer games related degree, i'm pretty comfortable using 3D applications, and i've used UDK on specific modules as well. In regards to programming, i've used ActionScript 3.0 and various APIs to create games, have played around with XNA, and am an intermediate C++ user. With that in mind, i'm still pretty new to DirectX and writing shaders, but having played with it for about a month now i'm getting a good feel for how the API works.

In the coming weeks i'm going to post screenshots of the demos i've developed using DirectX and C++. Once i've got a decent understanding i shall start to outline a video training series for people who're interested in learning the API as well, and this is why... There's no decent learning material out there for DirectX 11! So far i have been using books, MSDN, and various online tutorials and articles. With that in mind, i am determined to make the learning curve less steep for beginners to DirectX, having everything layed out in video format. However, i am NOT going to rush putting this series together as i'm still learning myself, and overall still pretty inexperienced with DirectX.

Anyhow, here's a few demo screenshots so far that i aim to be teaching in the next couple of months:

DirectX needs a window to render graphics! Here i use the Windows API to establish a simple window with a blue background color. Nothing too fancy, the WinMain function is established, we set up and show a window, define our application loop and message cue, and define the windows procedure function.

In this application Direct3D is initialized. We create the necessary objects to set up the rendering pipeline including our device, device context, swap chain and back buffer. In addition, we also establish which feature level and driver type our graphics card can handle, amoung a few other things...

This application demonstrates rendering the most basic shape you can imagine, a triangle. In regards to the code, it's built upon the previous application were we:
    - Write and compile a simple vertex shader and pixel shader.
    - Create a vertex structure that'll be used to define the position of our verts.
    - Create a vertex buffer that we can feed to the rendering pipeline.
    - Establish our Input Layout that we can bind to the rendering pipeline, such that we can provide the vertex buffer.
    - Render our triangle to the screen by setting our primitive topology, vertex buffer, input layout, pixel and vertex shaders.

The last demo i'll post for now demonstrates simple texture mapping, where we build upon the previous application and map an image to our geometry. At this point we start to explore matrices to position our sprites on the screen, as well as color maps and samplers to disctate how the texture will be rendered to the screen.

And that's all i'll post for starters. I'll make this post a little prettier when time permits and go into more detail on some of the concepts.

I'll try and get a significant update every week or two, and if you have any suggestions or requests please post them here!

Thanks,
    Dane
    Last edited by da1bu89; 03-24-2012 at 03:01 PM.

are you planning on uploading your videos to you tube?
    I know I have learned teaching what I have learned really helps me better understand what it is I'm teaching, sounds funny but is true
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

Quote Originally Posted by elevating View Post
    I know I have learned teaching what I have learned really helps me better understand what it is I'm teaching, sounds funny but is true
    This is so True!
    " Imagination is the preview of life's coming attractions " - Albert Einstein
    " If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

My Website: http://www.gamedevlounge.com/

If any post is informative please provide positive feedback by clicking the star below.

Quote Originally Posted by elevating View Post
    are you planning on uploading your videos to you tube?
    Hey elevating, at this moment in time i'm still deciding the method of delivery. I'm actually a YouTube partner who provides tutorials, and from experience people just want 5 minute solutions without the desire to learn anything. Also, because there's so much junk on YouTube good content is hard to come by.

With that in mind, i'm not ruling out the possibility of creating a dedicated channel for C++ and DirectX development. In due course i'll try and choose the best solution for people who actually want to learn this stuff.

Oh yeah, teaching really helps drive the concepts home for you!

There's no decent learning material out there for DirectX 11!
    I have to disagree here

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Rend...2688318&sr=8-3
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-3...2688318&sr=8-1
    [quote][\quote]

Allow me to rephrase sir,

There's no decent affordable learning material for DirectX 11.