Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Autocad similar to 3ds Max/easy to learn because I know 3ds software packages?

Hi

I've searched Google about this topic and I'm still not sure of the answer. Perth Australia is a real 'mining town' and that industry of course offer's allot of jobs. I saw a good one for graduates but they need to have known Autocad. Now I know 3ds Max, Maya, Blender (super beginner) and ZBrush BUT NOT Autocad - which is used for making houses and less entertainment things (to my knowledge)? So If I said "hey I know all these (but not Autocad)", would I be qualified for the job - or would they just laugh at me? Similarly if I took a course in Autocad would it be very easy to pick up considering my current 3d software knowledge? Thank you.

AutoCAD is a Drafting software, it's functionality is based around industry equipment and standards for engineers. With the other 3D software that, "you know" it's meant for visual production in the entertainment field. So when you think AutoCAD think engineering and when you think 3dsmax, Maya, Zbrush, etc.. think Entertainment.

The reason behind this is AutoCAD makes it easier for someone to create a plot for anything really, a Machine or a House, you can even do plumbing diagrams and electrical wiring diagrams in it. There's functionality built in that revolve around the way drafters have been making these diagrams for I think since drafting came about.

Also getting a job in the drafting field for what you're talking about takes more knowledge than just simply knowing how to use a program, there's things you have to know when making your drawings such as terrain, materials, dimensions, angles, weights, etc..

When making something in 3dsMax for example, you're not typically worried about these sort of things so your models aren't going to be 100% realistically designed, it's more creative design. It's good that you know these programs but if you want to go into drafting and using AutoCAD then I suggest you get enrolled in some sort of engineering school.

it all depends on what industry your in RHayabusa max is more used in the architectural design, game design and special fx movie stuff like that i have been using max for about 6 years and find it brilliant for my industry freelancing architectural design
    3ds max freelancer video game architectural designer

website [url] http://www.video-game-architectural-design.com
    Facebook [url] https://www.facebook.com/Anthonyoconnor1000

the concepts of 3d space and visualising how a model should form will help moving from 3ds max to autocad, but keep in mind they're very different pieces of software in their purpose and design, so expect there to be a proper learning curve should you choose to learn it. And like soganatsu mentioned, any person using autocad in a work environment typically has to consider the materials and regulations behind the construction of the object being created, I got cold feet when thinking of studying architecture when I looked at the size of the book full of regulations and rules that need to be followed.
    Dangerous. Mute. Lunatic.
    <Toastage>: and you're like "Ey Joe it is Smismar, I am belgium, ishn't that veird. Fix mai internetz or I cut you yehs?"

I would say: if you know how to draw in Maya or 3d Max, using the Lines (for example NURBS) System,
    snapping, cutting, redrawing lines, rather than the extrude a polygon face, you will learn AutoCAD very easily.
    Watch a few Youtube tutorials on Autodesk Inventor (3d AutoCAD) for example or Solidworks, to see how to draw a line,
    I bet after a couple of watches of where the various different buttons are in the UI, you'd grasp it.
    But, there is a definate proceedure for modelling, etc... where an educational course would be handy,
    that's what I did, and am now drawing .dxf for a nailing gun on a CNC machine, whilst enjoying modelling in Maya
    in my spare time.

Thanks everyone!

I think you're confusing 3ds Max for 3ds Max Design, now it's the Design version of 3ds Max that leads to some CAD features, iirc. General 3ds Max is catered more to entertainment modeling, 3ds Max Design is more for industrial modeling...
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by WedgeBob View Post
    I think you're confusing 3ds Max for 3ds Max Design, now it's the Design version of 3ds Max that leads to some CAD features, iirc. General 3ds Max is catered more to entertainment modeling, 3ds Max Design is more for industrial modeling...
    -------------------------------
    i don't use max design i used max i either use the AEC extended or box model my building
    3ds max freelancer video game architectural designer

website [url] http://www.video-game-architectural-design.com
    Facebook [url] https://www.facebook.com/Anthonyoconnor1000

Quote Originally Posted by RHayabusa View Post
    Similarly if I took a course in Autocad would it be very easy to pick up considering my current 3d software knowledge? Thank you.
    If you know your 3d software well, I would bet that you would pick up Autocad quickly. I just recently did a course using Solidworks and I felt very comfortable using it with my Modo background.
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuanbyr View Post
    If you know your 3d software well, I would bet that you would pick up Autocad quickly. I just recently did a course using Solidworks and I felt very comfortable using it with my Modo background.

From my experiences Solidworks is much easier to pick up and learn than AutoCAD. AutoCAD is a 2D application that has a bit of 3D functionality hacked on top of it. It's a very good program if you're doing a job that requires you to print out engineering diagrams on paper. Solidworks is 3D from the ground up and very easy to work with, especially when doing revisions as it is dimension driven: changing most things just requires typing in a new number, where in AutoCAD, making a change requires you to change the geometry one line at a time, and then going back and changing your dimensions.
    <NelsonLaQuet1> isnt denmar rambow and sunshine happy land?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast