Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visual Studio 2010 - can I use it in new MMO

Nelson's new videos for the reconstruction of the MMO are all done in VS2012.
    However, I have VS2010 meaning I can compile to .net4.0
    I don't particularly want to upgrade my VS at this point and Express edition would lose my R#.

There are a lot of products being used in this project so I am wondering if any require 2012.

Regards...

By the way nelson use vs 2013.
    I think you could use that but you don't have the nuget console so migration with Entity Framewor 6 get very hard.
    You could download the desktop edition of VS 2013 that is free but in that case you can't install re sharper on the other end If you install VS 2013 professional you can install re sharper.

vaualbus,
    Thanks for the reply.

Someone asked about Nuget Console on VS2010 on StackOverflow and it seems it can be installed separately.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...sole-not-found

Doing without r# would be like typing one-handed, so if I do encounter any roadblocks I am going to need to budget for a VS upgrade earlier than I'd hoped.

The latest videos are using VS2012. I used VS2013 for a little bit during a trial of it, but decided not to upgrade my license. I'll probably get 2014 when it comes out though.

However, I have VS2010 meaning I can compile to .net4.0
    I don't particularly want to upgrade my VS at this point and Express edition would lose my R#.
    .net 4.0 and 4.5.1 don't have a lot of differences. You should be able to work just fine with .net 4 - EF6 and nuget will work fine using VS 2010. You'll need to make sure to install nuget of course, since it doesn't come pre-installed like it does with 2012.

Another thing to note is that sln and csproj files are interchangeable between VS 2010 SP1, VS 2012 and VS 2013 (presumably, they'll also work with VS 2014). Though, of course, you'll still need to target .net 4.0 if you wish to be able to build with VS 2010.

Basically: you'll mostly be fine; and if you find something that doesn't work, just post in the forums and I'll take a look at it.
    Need any help? Feel free to PM me - or send an email directly to nelson@3dbuzz.com!

Thanks Nelson.
    I will let you know if there are any issues.

Ok I am also using VS 2010 express and just got stuck at the BuzzMMO.Web in Chapter 10 - Auto UpdaterSetting up our Projects.
    Can I make the web project in Visual Web Developer Express 2010 and bring it into the project?
    The only way to fail is to give up or die...

Quote Originally Posted by Matroblend View Post
    Ok I am also using VS 2010 express and just got stuck at the BuzzMMO.Web in Chapter 10 - Auto UpdaterSetting up our Projects.
    Can I make the web project in Visual Web Developer Express 2010 and bring it into the project?
    You'll need to install this package for that: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=30683

This is ASP.NET MVC 4. Though we are using version 5, there shouldn't be too many differences.
    Need any help? Feel free to PM me - or send an email directly to nelson@3dbuzz.com!

A thing to note, i think the Express edition of VS, at least 2010 only supports single project solutions. You might need a solution for each project. Also not sure if it support some of the more advanced project types like WCF

Just want to say I have been totally unable to get VS 2010 express to see ASP.NET MVC 4.
    So I must be doing something wrong or VS 2010 express is unable and I need a new plan.
    The only way to fail is to give up or die...

Seems you need the Web Developer Express edition.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...vc-application

but it looks like VS2012/13 express has it build in, there is a link with the answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast