Photographing textures.

I'm a student studying animation, and I want to photograph my own textures for texturing models. I have a canon 500D. Any tutorials or tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Here is something that I found on cgtextures.com

http://www.cgtextures.com/content.ph...ootingtextures

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd recommend checking to see if you can change the resolution which your camera takes pictures at. It would probably be better to have the textures nice and big, and resize them via your photo-editing software if necessary, rather than take them at something like 1024X1024 that might not give you the detail you need.

You may want to use just a piece of the texture, and it's very useful to have the photo big enough that you won't have to worry about a section you want having bad resolution.

I'd also be careful to make sure you haven't zoomed in or out too much - it's sometimes easier to hold the camera steady when you're zoomed out and standing close to the object you're photographing (instead of standing farther away and having the camera zoomed in), but you if you zoom out too much the photo might start to distort, where straight lines become curved (especially noticeable at the edges of the photo). If it bulges ("barrel distortion"), you need to zoom in, and if it sags inward ("pincushion" distortion) you have to zoom out.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Help/Distortion.aspx

http://digital-lighting.150m.com/ch06lev1sec6.html

Edit: Oops, I didn't see drdreed88's post earlier when I was posting...sorry if I repeated some of the things from that link
    Last edited by Mr. Bean; 02-02-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    See my 2d artwork at www.thearthound.com

"If you don't learn patience, you will never have the patience to learn."

One of the big things to keep in mind when doing photos for textures is: shoot on a grey day. If the sky is cloudy and not a bright sunny day you will have a nice flat lighting for your texture photos. This is good!
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

Exactly what Kuanbyr said.

The key point is you want to photograph the material, not the lighting. A grey, overcast day works best because their won't be hard shadows falling on the texture. For smaller things, you can construct a lightbox to get nice, diffuse ambient lighting. Other things to keep in mind is you want to be perpendicular to the surface, you should also use a tripod. With regards to the camera, shoot on ISO100 so you don't get unwanted noise in the photo. You should find out (google) what aperture is sharpest for the lens you have. For example, my 50mm F1.8 II is sharpest around f3.5, but the kit 18-55mm is really soft at that point. Another thing to keep in mind, if you have a zoom lens, is that they tend to suffer from distortion at the zoom limits, so find a focal length that works best, or be prepared to correct in Photoshop/Lightroom/whatever.

Have fun!