Maya diy ( extrude problem )

I want to create a "L" shape object ( Screen Right ) from the cube ( Screen Left ). When I use "extrude", it creates a hole instead. HELP !!!!!!!!

If you are unable to view in youtube then open the link below....
    http://www.screencast.com/t/PbAe7a8S

I'm starting a blog today in which I'll post all my MAYA DIY's and all the problems that I may have and the solutions. It will help all those newbies who are starting to learn MAYA just like me. SO plz visit that blog and give your valuable solutions.

http://mayaanimate.wordpress.com/

Extrude upwards not downwards.

Scale the cube down to the height of the first step in the L object then select the back face this time and extrude it upwards.

There are other methods but this is the easiest.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

You could also extrude down and then delete those three faces you do not want.

hbg5ty Guest
    nice
    Scale the cube down to the height of the first step in the L object then select the back face this time and extrude it upwards.

Then you would need to delete the original faces and append across, might even give some 'bad' normals (no biggy).

I'd go with how Mr Tom said, or use the create poly tool and extrude the profile, many options
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthcoder View Post
    I tried what I said and it doesn't work like I thought,
    (over lapping faces will occur, which need to be deleted also)

So don't do what I suggested, and just go with what tom said.

Yup I'd go with extruding up and placing the verts after too. Try pressing and holding v when moving to snap to vertices - click on the yellow arrow while holding v and drag to the corresponding vertex on the L shaped block and you'll snap it to the same height.