Thread: Unity... 2D?

Unity... 2D?

Recently I saw a couple Unity games showcased that appeared to be 2D games, as in, actually built with sprites and so forth. Before I had figured they were just cleverly used polygons; just billboarded polygons set up to run around in a billboarded world with a fixed camera. But now I'm wondering if that's not the case.

Does unity come with reasonable 2D game-making capability? Can it put together a game using only 2D and not have the developer supply any polygonal models from another application? Does it handle things like animating textures with the degree of skill that I would want from a 2D editor? Does it let me create tile maps?
    Or are these examples I've seen only using polygons in a clever way?

(The reason it is so important to me is because my computer died and my back-up one is something I can't really run 3D games on too well, and more importantly, I can't install Maya because it doesn't have a flippin' disc drive. So the project I will work on needs to require a very minimal amount of 3D models and animation, as I could only build those on a computer that I can't have regular dependable access to.)
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    Check up on my progress at:
    marscaleb.com

Hey Marscaleb,

Unity does not shot ship with a 2D Engine/2D editor by default. However, there are ways around to make a 2D Game, there are couple of products you can find in the unity asset store like sprite manager(you can find it in unity wiki i believe). Usually, when making a 2d game in unity people use 3d objects to mimic 2D view like the orthographic camera capturing a 3d scene.

There is no default 2d animation editing capability in unity, but can get the effect from animating the UVs(hence, UV-animation) of a texture. 3D Buzz has some videos focusing on 2D stuff for unity, like sprite manager and 2d shooter, I'm sure you have seen it before.

I have tried using planes created from maya(cuz the planes in unity have too many vertices) and adding a texture on it and created a sprite manager myself. It had some basic sprite functionality but I'm not really into 2d stuff so ended up halting the project and moved on to making a 3d game
    Last edited by peter8989; 10-21-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Noob stuff I've been playing with

Multiplayer RPG - http://www.youtube.com/user/Stridervan?feature=mhee
    Advanced Minimap Tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all
    Website - http://projectzoso.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by peter8989 View Post
    3D Buzz has some videos focusing on 2D stuff for unity, like sprite manager and 2d shooter, I'm sure you have seen it before.
    Actually when I looked at their unity videos the only 2D thing I found was a simple old=arcade-style shooter. It didn't exactly duplicate any of the more complex features I was looking for and asking about, (no animates sprites, no tile-mapped levels) so I didn't look any closer.

But since the 2D unity games are just 3D games mimicking a 2D game, it sounds like this isn't the road I need to pursue. I'd need to create a lot of custom-built flat polygons, it sounds like, and without a tile-mapped level creation I'd have to build the pseudo-tile-mapped levels in Maya... which would actually be harder than making actual 3D objects.

So it looks like I won't be using unity for my next project. Oh well. Thanks for the info!
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    marscaleb.com

Hmm, interesting, and those tools look powerful. Though, I do see tools for sprites, but not really anything about 2D level creation... I will be giving this some more thought.
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    marscaleb.com