Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PDI247 View Post
    Mainly because I'm curious, what are you modeling the game 'after'? Is there a particular game you're using as a 'reference', or a series of games, or are you attempting to make something unique?

Any idea where you'll be going after the models (Since apparently that's where the current priority lies, according to the end of the last video)?

Given that I'm not in the MMO class, I haven't a clue where they're at in it, or what they're currently doing - or what they've already done... so I was curious if you had an 'inspiration' outside of the Crew, or if you're mostly following the videos and adding spice.
    Good question! I do not have any reference to my game. Only thing I have as a reference is LOTR(not the game) just the story. I want the gameplay to feel like LOTR(again not LOTRO). Actually I don't think I'm allowed to mention where 3D Buzz MMO class is at. You click on the last video Series(which is World Storage Data) and click on individual video for video info). I am not following 3D Buzz game approach at all :P Also I'm on the 2nd Series of their video, where they talk about LORE and creating their own Terrain Engine. I am adding new features that you havent seen in any MMO. New stuff that I actually felt like having in an MMO when I played like, WoW, Rift, RoM and LoTRO. I'm giving more priority to Storyline, perhaps(PvP when I add it in the future). I'm not going to tell what I'm going to be adding new to my game in addition to other MMO, but I got alot to add. For ex, new dungeon game play, new ways of gaining xp, rewards, AA, If you saw in the character attributes. I had an empty stat named "Ancestory Points" which is a totally new system I'm currently working on. Its broad, Unlimited, and lot of fun(atleast what I think) and some new features.

When I get to the point where I completed all the basic gameplay; includes, models, class system(which I'm taking a new approach than other MMOs), max level, finish my main terrain(that you havent seen yet), AIs, Basic Storyline(which I'm still writing), basic dungeon system, many more new stuff which Im not going to talk :P. I will probably think of expanding the game(if I can finish all those above lol). Until then I still got alot of things to do + my school work. Any other questions?

I always have questions.

Do you have any plans to, say, add text to the signs that were seen in Video 3 at the beginning, in the desert-field? Or are you planning to make them clickable like in some other games, where a pop-up presents itself with information on which way is what?

Are there any plans to add environmental effects which hinder or benefit the player (Something semi-like the Tyria Guild Wars environments; poison deteriorating health, slow damage received over time, running speed reduced due to quicksand, etc)?

Not trying to 'add more to your list' or anything, just... watching the videos led me to wondering how far you were planning to take it, or what direction was currently intended.
    "It's most impressive when it's least expected."

Quote Originally Posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
    How did you approach the character statistics and advancement systems? If you have done so yet. It's an interesting area and I'd like to hear another point of view on the issue, especially from another programmer such as yourself.
    Well, I did a lot of scratch work on individual stats and wrote a c# simulator to find out how each stat can be handled for each classes(I had PvP in mind) also, Im treating the mobs as another player(Unless its a boss, its a different story) so they will have armor and all the stats that a regular character has(to make it less painful the mobs will have less stats compared to their Player version). I currently have 23 spells(including the ones I showed in the video). Each spell will have a primary stat and secondary stat and a special "turning point" stat( i wasn't going to talk aboit it but, what the heck) which will take effect if you have for ex, a certain buff/the enemy accidentally casted a debuff(fire family for ex). If that spell can be triggered by a firespell it will have a surprising outcome. You may resist that fire damage when you use that particular spell("wrath of the tides" will activate and it will freeze the person who used the debuff on you. Or if you use any kind of nature spell, it can be triggered by firespell and cause explosion and all that cool stuff(I'm not going too deep in it)

I'm currently using a failry complex algorithm to make the stats even with the level(almost done with all the attributes) currently you will gain 3 stat for each level. for the advancement system I'm almost using the same approach. The XP gain is determined by your level and the mobs level(or quest) the xp algorithm is rather easy to understand. Also, you will have chance to gain extra attributes depending on the acestory points(which is a broad area in my game, im not going too deep within it) you will gain new abilities by quests, trainers, (3 more ways, which im not going to explain it here). AA(alternative advancement) is something im working on right now in addition to dungeons, questing, pvp(havent started yet), story, and some new ways(unique I suppose) which I'm going to explain it here.

And you are right, these are really interesting areas, which I'm giving top priorities in addition to the Story. When I played other MMOs I felt like I was lacking something everytime I play a new MMO. I guess, its a thirst for freedom in the game. I'm adding new features which will allow player to feel like they are in control, not some pre-determined rules which you don't appreciate but its inevitable in very game. some aspects you like will be like hell for other player and vice versa. As I said earlier, I'm not going too deep with the gameplay. Now I need some models to show these stuff in action. The reason I didnt show any spells in my game is I had some cool spell effects which will look great(atleast thats what I think) with a player, with a casting animation :P But, modeling isn't my area(I model OK) so it will take sometime to get some models in game. Hope it answered your question, please ask if there is any other question. Any feedback is appreciated(or any new ideas). Afterall I'm no professional game designer, so I do need some ideas(still) to make my game better

I always have questions.

Do you have any plans to, say, add text to the signs that were seen in Video 3 at the beginning, in the desert-field? Or are you planning to make them clickable like in some other games, where a pop-up presents itself with information on which way is what?

Are there any plans to add environmental effects which hinder or benefit the player (Something semi-like the Tyria Guild Wars environments; poison deteriorating health, slow damage received over time, running speed reduced due to quicksand, etc)?

Not trying to 'add more to your list' or anything, just... watching the videos led me to wondering how far you were planning to take it, or what direction was currently intended.
    Interesting. In my last Reply to "Nato" I mentioned the spell system and some new features. The environment will take part in the gameplay. Some will benefit a particular Race and some will be deadly to some race(or class). I will make one player think that they are overpowerd by the environmental effect but the other player doesn't. You will gain an Ancestor's(well, here we go again, I decided not to talk about it, but now you mentioned it. I'll jus give a little peak) power which will counter-act the environmental debuff when you are in a PvP zone. Also, this comes with a price(which I'm not talking about it here) and you will loose some attributes.

Yup, I will have text signs in addition to tooltip on the Road signs. I havent had time to do any broad texturing. As you saw the fences and sign posts do have the same texture. Also, random portals and (unknown) details will appear in a zone, which will lead the player/group into deadly trap or a heaven like place(which I'm not going too deep here). But I think these stuff will be a little hard to implement with me being the only programmer & modeler but will do it as I get into more advanced stuff like dungeons and such. Anything else?

What types of races are you planning to include? Are you planning to add in any 'custom' races that may be of your own design? Obviously I don't expect 'what they are' to be presented yet, but again - trying to get an idea of the direction.

Are there any plans on the side of AI? I mean, obviously there will be AI - and there are already hints of such in place with critters running up and hitting the player... but how deep will -that- rabbit hole go?

I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered hearing that 'classes', per se, don't exist in that particular project, in the first video. Perhaps that was a comment related to 'at the time', or similar... because soon after, you began talking about classes and which four were currently planned. Are you planning to do anything with "summoning"? Or something of a "pet" structure for the Hunter side?

There's already a setup that indicates it's possible to "pick objects from objects" - this, combined with the latest quest of picking materials off of bushes, kind of implies there's an intended crafting-style structure, although implications aren't always reality. So, are there any plans for such a system?

Feel free to say 'shoo' at any time; although I'm curious, there are some things best left unrevealed, as I'm sure you're well aware.

haha..shoo? never. im glad your interesting in my game. well, I'm still thinking of a good storyline(still editing some portion atm) that ties the race and the class within. So, I am thinking of adding some cool new races(but that will require different types of race specific buildings/abilities/story) so I will not have it atm. However, there will be races in the future.

AI is an area im too interested in implementing in my game. I already began a portion of it, creating my own AI system, where the mobs have to choose what spell they have to cast during what time. Also Path Finding, esp when it comes to boss fights; gotta be careful not to make the boss fights easy. I do intend to make several different types of dungeon difficulties(not jus 2 - normal & heroic) which I need to have a clever AI system otherwise the game will look silly. Honestly I havent programmed AI broadly in any of my previous games(2d games mostly). So, I'm still learning various AI types and implementing as I move along.

And, yes there will be crafting. Again, this won't be like "boring" WoW crafting system. I'm not going too deep within it here. I haven't started implementing the crafting/professions yet, but planned it out already. Now that you brought it up, I will probably start implementing it in the next few weeks and have it in game soon perhaps :P The crafting I planned for my game would be broad, and it forces you to do certain dungeons and some special tasks if you plan to become a Master Crafter(time consuming) which does have its benefits. A player who spends lot of type questing and killing mobs and a person dedicates time on crafting will get to see the same amount of game content but different contents depending on what you choose. The only thing I haven't finished planning is AI, end-level stuff, PvP(just a little), Raids(don't expect to implement in the near future) and some others. Don't hesitate to ask question :P

As the title shown below the name of the account implies, I can probably continue to ask questions until something drastic happens. But I do get the concept that it's desired to have people interested in what you're working on. Can't wait until my project gets to a point it's more interesting to others.

Are the current systems demonstrated in the videos 'permanent'? Like... the general feel of inventory, quests, merchants, etc? Pop-up based, quests with text and rewards located at the bottom, inventory a box full of smaller boxes, merchants of similar design?

Do plans exist for, say, 'helper' characters? Mercenaries, in a sense? Characters which are effectively those who 'make up for the players' characters' lack of strength to be alone'? If so, will these be dumbed down, intelligence-wise, like a great deal of other games, or will they be designed to support specific character types? Or will they attempt to adapt to the players' play-style?

As the title shown below the name of the account implies, I can probably continue to ask questions until something drastic happens. But I do get the concept that it's desired to have people interested in what you're working on. Can't wait until my project gets to a point it's more interesting to others.

Are the current systems demonstrated in the videos 'permanent'? Like... the general feel of inventory, quests, merchants, etc? Pop-up based, quests with text and rewards located at the bottom, inventory a box full of smaller boxes, merchants of similar design?

Do plans exist for, say, 'helper' characters? Mercenaries, in a sense? Characters which are effectively those who 'make up for the players' characters' lack of strength to be alone'? If so, will these be dumbed down, intelligence-wise, like a great deal of other games, or will they be designed to support specific character types? Or will they attempt to adapt to the players' play-style?
    I cannot guarantee that everything you see here will be the final product. Even the terrain, there are alot of things to be added even to the terrain. More/Various foliage, trees, improved textures, the tutorial terrain was put together in 3-5 days. I didn't want the game to slow down until I work on optimizing the game intensely. So, what you are seeing is just the tutorial terrain(as I said earlier the main terrain is under construction) same applies to the GUI System. As you saw in my previous videos I kept tweaking the GUI system(for ex. I had a box like Portrait design first then I upgraded it to a better version, same with action bar) However, the current bag display what I'm going to get rid of next lol. It doesn't look that great(right?) So it will be changed in the near future. For the quest popup. I kinda like how it looks like, well give me your opinion. As I asked in the videos, I do need lots of feedback on my design so I can perfect it(atleast I can try)

And sure, I am planning on adding "pet-like" characters to almost every classes in the game(I don't use Class when it comes to my game, Since this will be chosen by the Player after he plays for about 30mins of the gameplay rather than decided at character creation). I haven't planned any advanced stuff as I mentioned in the earlier post yet. This includes the pet system. As always, don't hesitate to ask questions

Also, thats an interesting project your working on. Let me take a look at it :P

My opinions on games are generally pretty biased... which is unusual for me to say, simply because there's nothing else in existence that I -am- biased about (To my knowledge).

It makes more sense now, about the 'class, no class' situation of the first video. Are you planning for something of a 'items provide the majority of statistics' structure, or are you going to attempt to 'balance' items and abilities? Or are you going to drive it closer to the edge of abilities (And therefore 'key combinations') being the most important?

I noticed that it takes a pretty high count in statistics to even get the beginner critters to not deal quite as much damage. Is this to say it'll be easier later on to achieve statistics, or is that a result of balancing, or is it more intended that people gain a couple levels before venturing out on their own?

Will there be a 'maximum level'? I believe I recall you mentioning that abilities actually have levels, too? If this is the case, how are those 'upgraded'? By use? By user-decision on-level?

Will stats eventually be distributable by the player (Given a particular number of points and allowed to throw them around as they like)? Obviously half of the structure's already there, as seen in the demonstration of the little cheat-box in the bottom right - but the stats currently upgrade by 3 points in each stat, which led to curiosity.

My opinions on games are generally pretty biased... which is unusual for me to say, simply because there's nothing else in existence that I -am- biased about (To my knowledge).

It makes more sense now, about the 'class, no class' situation of the first video. Are you planning for something of a 'items provide the majority of statistics' structure, or are you going to attempt to 'balance' items and abilities? Or are you going to drive it closer to the edge of abilities (And therefore 'key combinations') being the most important?

I noticed that it takes a pretty high count in statistics to even get the beginner critters to not deal quite as much damage. Is this to say it'll be easier later on to achieve statistics, or is that a result of balancing, or is it more intended that people gain a couple levels before venturing out on their own?

Will there be a 'maximum level'? I believe I recall you mentioning that abilities actually have levels, too? If this is the case, how are those 'upgraded'? By use? By user-decision on-level?

Will stats eventually be distributable by the player (Given a particular number of points and allowed to throw them around as they like)? Obviously half of the structure's already there, as seen in the demonstration of the little cheat-box in the bottom right - but the stats currently upgrade by 3 points in each stat, which led to curiosity.
    Actually, there will be classes. You won't get to choose what class you want to be until you play the game a bit. So, lets say a new player plays the game and have no clue(eventho the info describes a little of the class) of what each class does, then he chooses to play a class he doesnt like he will most likely go back and create a new class. The way I'm approaching this issue is to let the player start out with no class, then he will do a bunch of tasks which will guide him/her through the game and lets him try out different classes in game by doing quests and choose what class he wants. Every class quests have a unique approach of teaching every aspects of that particular class.

It will not be like, you only gain abilities from trainers. There are various ways of gaining abilities, some will favor a particular class/race and some don't. A Warrior will have an option to choose a Spell(magical ability) but there won't be much use for him since the primary attribute he excels in doesn't favor magical ability. "Survival of the Fittest" yes, the more you use an ability the better you can perfect that particular spell. However, advancing a spell's level is left for questing and trainers and certain special world bosses(which are rare spawns and take even days to kill - not like they have an incredibly high hit points) Every world boss will have a weakness and will be exposed to the player the longer he fights the boss. He can then share it with other players and finally vanquish him and send him to the abyss forever(yes, you will face one particular world boss only once in the game's lifetime) there will be another world boss which will take his place. Its one of the features im tirelessly working on to perfect it(still on planning phase). There will be a wide variety of ways you will be able to gain spells, as I mentioned earlier each spells will have a unique outcome when combined with others.

You can always take a solo approach in the game. The tutorial zone presented in the videos will not have mobs until you get to the 3rd sector "Evernight Forest". Each sector will teach the player various and new gameplay features. So, don't worry you won't be facing mobs until you know basic stuff about combat. And there will be a maximum level. Its not fare to let the player who played the longest, the highest level. Its also not fair for the person who played the longest not having something unique to show off. So I decided to include a new feature which will make the more experienced player have something to show off to the new player but as always, the skill will determine who is the strongest rather than how much you spend in the game. This is where "Mastery" system comes into play(unfortunately I'm not going to reveal the system here, which is something new I will introduce in the game)

The video is just for demonstration purposes only. What you see in the video will not be the end-result. You will gain some stats when you level up and some other cool stuff. However, you will be given the option to choose which Stat you want as your primary stat which will then determine your class. Its more complex system, but you will have an option to perfect your base class then further and further which I will not reveal atm :/

Feel free to ask any questions

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast