Talking Daz people still giving their software free

Hey in case any of you might have missed it and are interested the Daz people are still giving away their Daz Studio 4, Bryce 7.1 Pro and Hexagon 2.5 modeler for free (their latest versions). The offer was supposed to last until the end of February but they have kept it so far so if you want them go grab them.

http://www.daz3d.com/

Yeah, seems like DAZ is trying to entice the Blender crowd to go to their products, the way things sound... Good luck to them.

Although for the Platinum Club members, it seems like they're holding a huge sale on their Dream Home package, but I'd rather model up my own rooms and scenes in Blender, thank you very much!
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

All the more power to them, the more alternatives to Autodesk go free or cheap, the more pressure for Autodesk to lower their price so I can stop using their stupid student licence! Mind you, I downloaded this back in feb and haven't felt any particular need to install it yet.
    Dangerous. Mute. Lunatic.
    <Toastage>: and you're like "Ey Joe it is Smismar, I am belgium, ishn't that veird. Fix mai internetz or I cut you yehs?"

Quote Originally Posted by 3dspider View Post
    All the more power to them, the more alternatives to Autodesk go free or cheap, the more pressure for Autodesk to lower their price so I can stop using their stupid student licence! Mind you, I downloaded this back in feb and haven't felt any particular need to install it yet.
    Epic comment is just epic! +1

Hexagon 2 is a really nice model editing package if all one is interested in is modeling. The thing I like about it is Hex 2 is its very Maya like in its UI approach and tool usage and a lot more user friendly as compared to most starter, free, options available.

Seems to me what Daz3d is actually doing is creating suite type applications that you can bridge data from one system to another. You can’t render in Hex for example but you can in Daz Studio or even send to other applications like PhotoShop or Zbrush. For that matter Sending to 3ds Max or even Maya is becoming less problematic.

In my opinion this is a far better approach to the end user or artist who rather would be selective about the tools they need or would like to make us of with out having to buy into an entire, and costly, package and in the process pay for tools that they would never use.

If anything Daz3d is a company to keep an eye just to see what they are up to and free “usable” applications makes the effort worth it.

Although if one has Carrara 8 Pro, which is their flagship product, you have the equivalent of having all three of those programs under one roof, if you will. Although the method of having these three other products of theirs is just as good, and a lot cheaper (as in free).
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

I actually bought Hexagon ages ago when it came out and again ages ago also bought Carrara which at that time (offer price) was great value. Used Carrara back then to create sketch/line drawing type of rendering of 3d structure for concept game levels. Hexagon yes it was cool and considering how much I used to like Nendo (any of you remembers Nendo? From same people behind Mirai) I thought that Hexagon being focused on poly modelling would have been great.

Got the free 2.5 version now but I have not used hexagon/Carrara for looooooooong time. I guess I should give hexagon a go, see how well/bad can integrate within a pipeline including othe tools, I had a quick look at the hexagon page and I couldn't even see a list of supported formats.
    Last edited by HokutoTC; 05-17-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Nice, thank you for your post. The products are still available for free!

Even tho DS4 Pro is still as buggy as heck. Glad I still hung onto DS3 Advanced.