Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WIP: Maya Advance Modeling in Softimage

Hey everyone,

Well the summer has finally come and i got a few months to improve my 3D skills before heading back to Uni. I'm firstly going to go through the Maya Advance Modeling course in Softimage to improve my modeling skills! Transitioning between Maya and Softimage should be fun as well, particularly with the Lamborghini.

Current progess with the socom, currently working on the slide action:

Cheers!

Good Luck fella!

There's no better way to learn an application than to follow a tutorial designed for a different package.

I myself transitioned from Maya to XSI, and only occasionally wish I was back in Maya.
    Mostly Human since '74

nice but the gun is fairly easy to apply to softimage but the lambhorghini would be tough one would glad to see how u did it because softimage it works like 3ds max modeling wise ina manner of way
    [COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]Best Regards
    jibran baig
    Team Lead| cg artist
    itsmejab@gmail.com
    jabranbaig@aim.com

http://www.artfiction.net/ | http://jabranbaig.wordpress.com/
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Keezer View Post
    Good Luck fella!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Keezer View Post
    I myself transitioned from Maya to XSI, and only occasionally wish I was back in Maya.
    Understandable, i'm finding Softimage to be a bit more intuitive but do miss the odd tool in Maya.

Quote Originally Posted by jabranbaig View Post
    nice but the gun is fairly easy to apply to softimage but the lambhorghini would be tough one would glad to see how u did it because softimage it works like 3ds max modeling wise ina manner of way
    After using Softimage for a while now i'm finding it to be more like Maya than 3DS Max. It's Polygon toolset is very strong but falls short with NURBS tools compared to Maya, but i can't see how the Lamborghini should be a problem

Update: Haven't done a lot today, the bevels are starting to make the gun look very nice (beveled nearly half of model). Booleans gave me some topology problems round the back of the model but easily fixed. The bevels didn't give me as much problems as Zak in Maya though ---> Softimage 1 - 1 Maya

One more video before wrapping up the handle geometry. Looking pretty good but needs a few tweaks here and there:

Oh riiight, finished the videos for the Socom, just want to clean a few bits up on the LAM unit, maybe create a simple rig then i'll call it a wrap

The gun look very nice could you trie a sharper edge on the end of the silencer, think it might look better but not sure.

But very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Animate View Post
    The gun look very nice could you trie a sharper edge on the end of the silencer, think it might look better but not sure.

But very nice
    Thanks for the feedback! Your right the silencer looks a lot better with a sharper edge

Final Socom (may add more detail later):

Next up Lamborghini!

Is it the angle? My eye? My unfamiliarity with guns in general? The rounding under the trigger and the handle itself looks like it has... something.

Aside from that, though, looks good from first glance.

The 'difficulty rating' always depends on the person. Some might think of a fully functional car as a simple task, while others might think it's a giant leap and an unnecessary modeling experience. Just as, some might be intimidated by the idea of modeling a Star Trek ship (*Cough*), while others might take it as a gigantic mountainous challenge.

Even if someone does something in a tutorial for a different program, some people can't even manage to accomplish the tutorial in the program it's created for. Credit should be given where credit is due, of course.
    Last edited by SerenityD; 06-13-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Congrats mate, job well done! I remeber myself when the SOCOM was finished what a great fealing it was. And you must feel even prouder, doing it in a other 3D package! It looks great. CanĀ“t wait to see the lambo!
    Last edited by The Lizard; 06-13-2009 at 04:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast