Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting serious with modeling

I'm a coder professionally and have said in many posts here that modeling wasn't for me. I guess I have hung around too long because you all have infected me! Years ago (2006 I think) I bought the 3DS Max Fundamentals and completed the Talented Ball VTMs. I am now going to start in on the F14 VTMs. Another reason for continuing to learn 3D modeling is I have some opportunities at work to do some modeling. At the moment I have purchased one model (a GBU-38 bomb! ooooo) and am going to reduce the poly count. That might be on the advanced side for a budding modeler but you don't know what you don't know sometimes.

Not sure why I said all that except perhaps to introduce myself in this forum. I look forward to learning from all you guys and gals too.

Here's the model I'm working on.

I have already deleted some bolts, screws and plates that aren't needed. In the back in front of the rear fins are bolt holes that need filling in. I'm thinking Editable Poly work there.

I love programming and modeling too!

I guess you are using Max but watching the Maya Advanced Modeling videos taught me a lot

Or follow along with the AT-AT modeling in Max.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthcoder View Post
    I love programming and modeling too!

I guess you are using Max but watching the Maya Advanced Modeling videos taught me a lot

Or follow along with the AT-AT modeling in Max.
    Man I'm glad you brought that up. I've been struggling today wondering if I should continue with Max (2011) or start learning Maya. I know I can get the PLE edition and my company most likely will pay for the full version once I do something for release to our customers. Zak seems to like Maya more than Max. Perhaps that's why there are so many more VTMs on Maya. If its not something that comes down to personal preference what are some of the reasons I would want to consider Maya? I haven't spent years in Max so starting on a different modeler wouldn't be too disruptive (I think).

Great start at the model smjones, and good luck with the continueing modeling!
    Max seems awsome but from what I have seen from the Advanced modeling VTMs and ADP VTMs, there is a lot of hardcore modeling going on there (both organic and hardsurface), but as long as you are happy with your 3D app shouldn´t really matter which app you choose.

I think that Zak does prefer Maya,
    but I am sure he would be the first to say it really only is a matter of personal preference which 3D-application you use.

I would actually recommend that you do learn some Maya, not because you need to, but just to get an alternate perspective of how
    a 3D-app can be laid out.

If you have knowledge of one 3d-app, you will be able to learn another one without too much problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeJunkie View Post
    Great start at the model smjones, and good luck with the continueing modeling!
    Max seems awsome but from what I have seen from the Advanced modeling VTMs and ADP VTMs, there is a lot of hardcore modeling going on there (both organic and hardsurface), but as long as you are happy with your 3D app shouldn´t really matter which app you choose.
    I wish I could take credit for that model but I actually downloaded it from TurboSquid and am starting to reduce the poly count. I think the same model should be able to be reduced to <1000 polys. I'm comparing it with other good looking similar models on TurboSquid.

@stealthcoder,
    That's a good perspective. Plus I'm looking at the more numerous VTMs on Maya over Max here.

I found plenty of tips and tricks in the ADP vids that are applicable in Max... it's mostly a case of finding out what name a particular tool has in one app or another and the Max manual is excellent... which is nice.

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

I really appreciate all your support and feedback. Actually I'm surprised I didn't get any knocks yet for my past comments about not being interested in modeling. I may have even used the word "never". <gasp!>

Of course now with the new Blender videos the choice of which one (Max, Maya or Blender) is hard. The only one I've really did anything with back in 2006 was Max. I did "ok" but then I started watching the AT-AT videos and after seeing how stinking fast Zak was..... while yacking to Jason at the same time.... I lost some wind from my sails. I know I shouldn't compare myself but....

Congratulation on breaking the coding to art barrier!! I look forward to hearing more about your progress as it will hopefully be motivational to me.

I have also been bitten by the 3d Art bug. I have never had the confidence to attempt any type of graphical work and was very reluctant to even try, but once I started on the Blender training several weeks ago a lot of my other training has been pushed aside!
    My day job is in no manner related to CGI, Gaming or anything of the like (unless you count the recent PSN security breaches) as I am a professional whitehat hacker. Everything I do at work is extremely analytical and I have found that coming home to work on modeling instead of more analytical work such as trying to keep up with Lee or Nelson's brilliant coding minds is almost therapeutic in nature. I can listen to music and just get into the zone and find myself staying up late into the night wondering where my evening went.

Good luck in all your endeavors!

Code0wnz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast