MMO R&D FireBall spell + sculpting

So as I mentioned earlier I want the world to be really dynamic and I want the ability to avoid spells and a certain logic to what happens next with the spell. I said I wanted the spell to hit the terrain and deal AOE damage instead.

When browsing the Unity asset store looking for free assets I came across a detonation package that included around 10 free explosions I could use. So I started implementing it into the terrain R&D and got the great idea to create a fireball that on impact will detonate an explosion and deform the underlying terrain mesh. And amazingly this look only 2 hours to create a fireball spell (flame-thrower effect free asset + sphere with lava texture) and implement all the things I wanted.

Here are a few pictures:

Before:
    http://oi54.tinypic.com/1248o42.jpg

While:
    http://oi52.tinypic.com/i78k8w.jpg

While Explosion
    http://oi52.tinypic.com/2nl8p4x.jpg

After:
    http://oi53.tinypic.com/2hx4q3d.jpg

Tell me what you think
    Diede
    Last edited by diedy; 05-13-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    ''A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.'' - Albert Einstein
    "The expression of what you are in space-time creates the pattern of space time." - Bachir Boumaaza

Interesting...

The crater left at the end seems rather small for the size of the explosion, to me...

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

I'm still looking for the magic numbers but the crater is from an other explosion and it was zoomed out a lot.
    If you look at the While Explosion you can see the crater around it is bigger already.
    Next thing I plan is levelling with a mushroom cloud explosion, that most look so cool
    ''A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.'' - Albert Einstein
    "The expression of what you are in space-time creates the pattern of space time." - Bachir Boumaaza

Pretty cool, I wouldn't mind seeing some video captures of this once you get it working. How many draw calls are you dealing with and how CPU intensive do you think it will be?

-Dane
    You know you want to!

Quote Originally Posted by diedy View Post
    I'm still looking for the magic numbers but the crater is from an other explosion and it was zoomed out a lot.
    If you look at the While Explosion you can see the crater around it is bigger already.
    Ah; that makes more sense...

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Quote Originally Posted by DaneC020 View Post
    Pretty cool, I wouldn't mind seeing some video captures of this once you get it working. How many draw calls are you dealing with and how CPU intensive do you think it will be?

-Dane
    I have no idea how I'm gonna do it yet. Increasing brush size together with the explosion' wave would be the easiest but I think that's gonna be CPU intense. The draw calls are only 40 for the nuke. The one I use now has 200 draw calls (don't know why)
    Anyway, I can't work on it right now, got too many school assignments

Diede

Now that is pretty impressive. That would have some interesting effects on the landscape if it stays that way or do you plan on reverting it back to normal after awhile?
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Archania View Post
    Now that is pretty impressive. That would have some interesting effects on the landscape if it stays that way or do you plan on reverting it back to normal after awhile?
    My plans are not sorted out yet. But it will be something like:
    In some areas terrain can be deformed by some or all people and do or do not change back after a while.

For instance the "Mage" class has the ability to learn a spell that he can use to edit terrain in a game play specific way to get the group into some special places. The spell has a duration and the terrain slowly deforms back to it's initial state. Another example, you buy an island or a planet and you assign your friends to be able to permanently edit the terrain using game play spells. I love how dynamic you can make the world and how it might give you advantages in some cases.

I like where you're going with this. If we were to apply this to the MMO, maybe different mage specializations could have different effects on the environment. In addition to your terrain deformation, maybe there's some kind of weather control spec that can create cloud cover and electrical storms to disrupt comms as discussed in one of the recent videos. These would make sense for Elythians. The humans could use technology to generate the same effects, perhaps devices powered by the Arcanicite.

Yes I'm going right there ! Maybe fire oriented spells deal less damage when it rains or when the sun isn't directly shining on you or whatever. A lot of environmental things can be connected to combat or things like movement speed.