Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by Krynn72 View Post
    As long as there is an easy way to tell if a guild is aggressive (I wouldn't necessarily trust members to describe it without bias) then I really don't see it being a problem. If a guild can be marked by how many wars they've been a part of in the past x amount of months, and labeled accordingly, casual players should have everything they need to know if their stance coincides with that of the guild.
    I wouldn't say that's everything a player needs to know about a guild, but it's not a bad idea at all. My only (very minor) concern is that it can create a situational misrepresentation of a guild and complicate a process that pretty well handles itself in other games.

I'd say, if that's a stat that we'd already be tracking for our own ends, then I don't have a problem making it public information. If we had no intention of ever bothering to implement that sort of tracking, it wouldn't be something to take extra time to make an exception for.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Moosaroo View Post
    I wouldn't say that's everything a player needs to know about a guild,
    No, certainly not, I was just speaking strictly in terms of comparing a player's philosophy on pvp war with that of a prospective guild's.
    My only (very minor) concern is that it can create a situational misrepresentation of a guild and complicate a process that pretty well handles itself in other games.
    It occurred to me as well, but I struggled to find an example to back up the notion. I think, given that previous wars will expire off a guild's record with time it should be a fairly accurate assessment in the vast majority of cases. I'm trying to think of cases where it might not be, but the best I can come up with is a very recent change in leadership, between an aggressive leader to a passive one, or vice versa. Perhaps that could be another attribute displayed for people, the longevity of the guild's leader? That way people could see if theres a lot of drama and turbulence in a guild before joining as well. Not sure if people would like being ranked in such ways though, haha.

guild leadership change would be one. Another possibility would be a focus shift (Oh hey, we ran out and got in a bunch of fights and now we've decided to not do that so much, so lets get some folks in who aren't rabid warmongers). My main thought would be along the lines of someone joining a guild that either misrepresented themselves as a peaceful guild, or simply didn't present their intentions well, who were waiting to finish that big recruitment drive before opening up the gates and going to war with *Insert ungodly well established, skilled, organized pvp guild here*. In that situation a player would go "hey these guys don't ever go to war, they must be safe"

Like I said though, that's a very minor concern, and when I say minor, I mean very minor. Even with all the numbers in the world, as a player, you're responsible for who you align yourself with. If you want to jump in a guild and immediately get permission to toss down buildings all over the place, and you do it before really getting to know the guild and its leadership, then you're begging to get your stuff knocked over, that's just the nature of the beast.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea, just getting what's in my head out.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by xavierk View Post
    Continuing the interview:

- After an attack to a tract of land is successful what happens to the land? The land is conquered and added to the attacking gang, it's passes to a neutral state (meaning that this land is available to be rented again by anyone) or it gets blocked for some time in a sort of wasteland/razed state?

- Each tract of land is going to have properties. Is this something similar to how each tile works in civilization?

- Gang land is going to be maintained with just gold or it will consume some sort of resource?

- What happens after a player lose their land (foreclosure) or decides he doesn't want that tract of land anymore? What happens to the "stuff" he modified or bought (house, fortifications, etc)?

- Same as above but with gang tracts of land.

- Subleasing will be allowed between players? Maybe gangs and players?

- Besides the upkeep, any other type of maintenance is going to be needed to keep the land or to get the reward stated by the risk slider?

- Is all this becoming some sort of a "RTMMORSG" (Real Time Massively multiplayer Online Strategy Rol Game)? isn't this exciting? You need to pull this off!

(Edit) BTW: I liked the small single paragraph answer you gave me in the other post. I like this to be some sort of bullets to clear some doubts to all of us.
    - I would make conquered land simply guild land. It belongs to the entire guild. This prevents players from using their guild warfare status to increase their land holdings. Physically, I'd say that all assets on it get destroyed when it changes hands. Yes, you can argue against that. I just like the idea of the land itself being what is gained. If you want all of the cool structures that took forever to get built, you need to build them on your own.

- I want each land to have certain attributes, yes. These might include what sort of items can be farmed out of it, the weather in the area, etc.

- The simplest way I can think of is to have land upkeep cost money. This of course could be masked with itemized lists of what the money goes toward, such as "100 m^3 of plant food, 50 animal antibiotic treatments, general usage repair for radio transmission tower," and so on.

- I think a cool way to handle foreclosed land is to have it put up for automatic auction including all of its actual buildings. I've got to think more about how this could be abused, because it may be safer to simply say that the land has to be cleared. Or you could do both. It goes up for auction for 3 days or something, and then gets "bulldozed" and is then back up for sale like any chunk of land.

- Guild tracts of land just get demolished if the guild goes defunct. Another guild would have to buy it, since I'm imagining a lot of guild structures being exclusive (meaning that an individual player could not own them) and it just seems too convoluted to find a way to a guild to make such a purchase. So I'd just put the land back in the pot, so to speak.

- I'd like to simplify the upkeep process to just that (give money, keep land). However, there are other things you could do. For instance, you could have each structure of a certain level or more generate a daily-style quest. Each day that quest is done, a certain amount is deducted from your upkeep costs, since you're doing the work yourself. If you skip, that's fine. It just means someone did the job for you, so you pay them.

- I want to be clear: we're looking at adding these RTS-style elements into the game, but my personal belief is that they need to be a part of the mix and not the primary reason we create the game. I want to think of them like a very well-done additional feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Krynn72 View Post
    As long as there is an easy way to tell if a guild is aggressive (I wouldn't necessarily trust members to describe it without bias) then I really don't see it being a problem. If a guild can be marked by how many wars they've been a part of in the past x amount of months, and labeled accordingly, casual players should have everything they need to know if their stance coincides with that of the guild.
    I would like to see guild information available within the game and wired into the guild joining UI. You should be able to see how many members, member average levels, number of wars to date, wars over last month, and a summary of most popular activities taken on by that guild (this could be generated under the hood) such as raiding, leveling, land farming, etc.

Also, I'm noticing a lot of guild mechanics discussion here. Please save that for a separate thread and don't clutter up this discussion of real estate matters with how guilds should work. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    - I want to be clear: we're looking at adding these RTS-style elements into the game, but my personal belief is that they need to be a part of the mix and not the primary reason we create the game. I want to think of them like a very well-done additional feature.
    Hehe, yeah I was pushing it a little too far. Just wanted to see what was your reaction. But I believe that adding this RTS-style elements to war mechanics is something big for an MMO and could make wars more "spicy" and more dynamic than "war is at friday 7pm on the same old instance/castle you have fought 200 times already".

Quote Originally Posted by xavierk View Post
    Hehe, yeah I was pushing it a little too far. Just wanted to see what was your reaction. But I believe that adding this RTS-style elements to war mechanics is something big for an MMO and could make wars more "spicy" and more dynamic than "war is at friday 7pm on the same old instance/castle you have fought 200 times already".
    I totally agree. Plus, as things progress, it may come to that anyway. I just want to be clear about where I am now.

I moved this thread over here because there is such a discussion of the real estate system.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789