Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    All good Wolf

If nothing else, and the meetings do stay at 3 tokens, I will try to read what people post up, and try to contribute from there.

The new direction sounds good and sensible to me. Can't wait til I can sit down and watch these videos /giddy
    Dan 'pezz' Kronholm.
    Currently working on: The MMO class!.
    Previously working on: Game called "Boom Bots", while learning Unity and C#. WIP thread here.

Thank you Jason for letting us know about that new videos. I have just listened to them and found them fascinating.

For those keeping score that brings the totals up to 80 hours and 59 minutes of MMO content, so far that is.
    Intel i7 x5960 @ 4.6GHz (8 cores) | Asus Titan X x2 + MSI Titan X x2 | Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Quad Ram | 1 BuRay Writer | 4 x 1TB HD's | Asus PB287Q 4K Gaming Monitor + Dell 24" Monitor | 1500W PSU | 150 Mbps Internet with NTL | Win 10 64 | My Home Page

Just finished listening to the videos. You covered the two things I wanted - land for growing your own stuff etc. and weather to affect the equipment you need to be carrying to survive. I’m glad you’re thinking of having a way to opt out of having your land attacked and stolen. I have limited time to play games so the time I do get is precious, I would not want to spend time building a home and growing stuff to then log in the next day and find someone had wrecked it all. That would definitely be a game breaker for me.

One thought on what Nelson was saying about wanting the land to feel big and travel taking a long time. Have your expensive tickets be almost instantaneous travel and have your really cheap tickets take a long time, but make it so you can get on the transport log off for the night and when you come back the next day you’ve got to your new destination. A bit like the games you can buy for your iPhone like say Pocket Frogs where you breed your frogs and you can either pay real money to buy potions to speed up the breeding time or you plan your game play so that you breed your frog before going to bed and it’s there waiting for you in the morning.

Thanks for the videos! I personally liked this style better, especially the first videos on environment was much more structured and productive than the free for all meetings. Because getting ideas across (and defending them) takes so much time, I generally think the forums are a better place for members to contribute than by calling in. In that way ideas can be thought out beforehand and written concisely, and several people can voice their opinion at the time, instead of two-three people discussing one idea for the entire meeting.

Okay, I'm switching the RT videos to 1 token. I'll continue this mentality as long as I see interaction and discussion here in the forums. Fair?

Sounds great Zak. I was a little sad to see that us late comers didn't have access, as we then wouldn't be able to really take part in the discussion for the next live meeting, but now that concern has been laid to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Okay, I'm switching the RT videos to 1 token. I'll continue this mentality as long as I see interaction and discussion here in the forums. Fair?
    Thank you Zak, much appreciated.

Hey I just finished all of the round table videos, and I have to say I loved them. I really like how you had enough people to argue counter points to ideas. It always bothers me when an important perspective on a subject goes over looked. It always makes me feel that I want to jump in and bring it up, so that it can at least be examined. Whether or not people think it is an issue, or not, or if they love or hate something, doesn't bother me. It is only when it seems like everyone is not seeing an important side to something. Their interpretation of that side is another matter.

That being said, I was very happy at how many times someone would jump in with my counter issue, so I did not feel like I had to be there for it to be brought up. That to me is the mark of a good debate when the important things are mainly brought up, and don't go completely unlooked at. So good job.

There was however a few small things that I think went unsaid, and one BIG thing. I will make a post later to talk about the big thing. As for the little things, I will try and remember, Sadly I have been feeling really tired, and yet not able to sleep well, and so instead of taking notes I was listening while lying down with my eyes shut. Also, some of those small things may have later been brought up, and therefore are no longer important, and that is why I don't remember them.

But anyway, there have been a lot of really good ideas mentioned in these videos, and it has got me excited to see where the groups mind is at, as a lot of the things appeal to me as a gamer and as a creator.

I really like this system. It's a lot more focussed than the class meetings. Not that the class meetings are not good, and it would be nice if they continue, but this way you guys can get your ideas out of the way in an efficient way.

That being said I do have a comment on your travelling discussion in regards to the taking 2 different types of transportation, 1 slow and cheap and 1 fast and expensive.

The way you talk about it, the fast and expensive travel would have to be insanely expensive. Taking WoW as an example, the only time you would actually have a problem paying for travel is when you have just started playing the game with your first character (yes I have had times when I did not have the cash to travel) but as soon as you are high level the cost of travel is so low that you do not even think about what the flight costs. (it does add up though, I had an addon telling me what I spent money on and over time I had cumulated flight cost of like 500g ). The point though is that those 500g was payed over a RL time of several years.

So in order for the system to work in a way where people would have to concern themselves with different modes of travel the cost would have to be astronomical

In the end this is part of the economy, where do you want people to spend their money. You do need money sinks somewhere, as money is always being generated, and unless you have a way of "deleting" some of the money in the end everyone would be able to buy everything (except other players items which would be more and more expensive, to the point where new players would be almost totally eliminated from the market)

So my concern here is, do you want travel to be one of the money sinks? My belief is that in the end it would be a tiny money sink that would only influence new players, but old players, perhaps even relatively new players would just ignore the cost and choose the travel that makes the most sense to them. I.e the fastest, thereby nullifying the entire 2-3 way system of travelling.
    What is the colour of a chameleon standing on a mirror?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast