Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unity Flying Vehicle Contest - Metanol

I wanted to make a light one-man ship, that was kind of sci-fi and that would be easy to integrate into the game as is now. Since the character doesn't have any animation for climbing onto a ship, and I wanted to avoid the fade out trick, I thought of a way to get the character into the ship without any additional animation: Get the player in through a hole in the bottom.

At first I thought the ship could have some kind of stealth technology, and conceal itself when not in use. Then the player would press a button on it, and it would lift up in the air, while lowering a mini elevator. I scrapped that idea after I modeled it out and rigged it; it looked silly, and I wanted something simpler.

My current idea is that you can call the ship at any time, and the ship will simply fly over your position, open up the bottom and land over you. You could even call the ship while jumping off a cliff and fly on.

The ship didn't really take long to model. But I've been playing around a lot with rigging etc, so haven't really been time efficient. I'm not sure if I should use the smoothed version or the low poly one. I think the smooth version is below 10k, but it still seems like a waste. I haven't started the texturing process, so all materials are temps, but I'm going for an overall clean look with machinery and electronics covering the back.

Okay, now this is looking very promising. A game-quality model (some polys can be removed, though) with a nice design and great documentation. Keep up the great work.

Very nice... great idea for embarkation... damnit!

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Very interesting take on the design. Looks good.
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

Great take on a single person flyer, might want to put some exterior details towards the top back of the model to sort of justify its curved design, mabey some stabilizing jets or such?
    Dangerous. Mute. Lunatic.
    <Toastage>: and you're like "Ey Joe it is Smismar, I am belgium, ishn't that veird. Fix mai internetz or I cut you yehs?"

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I've realized that two thrusters beneath wouldn't keep the ship stable, and it would have to lean forward to move ahead. So I'll have to add one or more to the back - at least one about three quarters up. Since last update I've cleaned up the high poly model, I'm mostly done with UV layout, and I have done some basic texturing. I still have to add a lot of details to the back of the ship, which has to look good, since the ship will be viewed from behind for the most part.

Update

I've cleaned up the geometry, and added more details on the back. I originally meant to use it as a normal map, but encountered some problems with transferring the map. It's probably because I didn't lay out the UV's for the high poly (it was too messy) and that has bit me in the ass. That's also the reason why the back is not textured properly.

I have textured a diffuse map, a spec map and I have also added a glow map, but I don't know if there's a shader for it in unity. Is it OK to use more than one shader? For instance, the detail mesh on the top of the bottom (second lowest image) have a procedural cloth shader from maya. And the glow shader is separate, but it's not really necessary. I'll try to upload the textures later.

I'm at around 8500 faces/ 9300 verts, but that could (and probably should) be optimized.

Cool glowing red! Like the detail. I hope Unity accepts the model with all the textures!
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

Coming out good!

I would like to see a close up of the greebling at the back.

I decided to remake the back part. It was too messy, and I couldn't lay out the UV's properly because of it. I've made it a lot simpler, and that saved me some 1500 polys The second reason for doing it is that I want all the UV's in one UV space, as I think the requierment was only one 1024 diffuse texture. I don't know how to set up the glow in unity myself, so that will probably just be a bonus for whoever wants to add it. When I tried to export to unity, there were way to many meshes and components, so I'll have to combine everything except the bottom into one mesh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast