Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Oh what the hell! I just booted up Unity to continue with the course and now I find that the character is missing AGAIN!. I know I could at it back in but this is the second time Unity has done this to my saved scene. This HAS to be a bug, all I know is it's bugging me grrrr.

Hey Archania thank you for those kind words of support.
    Intel i7 x5960 @ 4.6GHz (8 cores) | Asus Titan X x2 + MSI Titan X x2 | Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Quad Ram | 1 BuRay Writer | 4 x 1TB HD's | Asus PB287Q 4K Gaming Monitor + Dell 24" Monitor | 1500W PSU | 150 Mbps Internet with NTL | Win 10 64 | My Home Page

WindyBut, sounds like there is a serious issue with Unity. Hope you get it worked out. Might have to delete and start all over with a nice clean install of Unity.
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

I doubt re-installing Unity would have any effect so I will just see how it goes from here. You see when this happens I can still see everything in the Projects tab. It appears that the saved scene file gets emptied and there is only the default camera in the scene. Now I admit that all I needed to do to fix this was reattach the "GameManager" script to the camera, then drag out a character again and lastly add a directional light. So this was not too bad to fix but it does not explain why the scene file looses the information in it and appears empty.

Although you were kind to offer the advice you gave I do not want to come off as being unappreciative because I do appreciate you taking the time to try and help me. I think that this is like Maya. When Maya acts up you sometimes need to delete the preferences that are stored and that forced Maya to return to defaults. Reinstalling Maya had no effect because when it was launched it would take the preferences and apply them.

What I have done, this time, is save out the scene under a different name. This second save I will never use unless the main one fails again. Then I re-saved overrighting the original one. I would be surprised if both fail now.

So I'm off to make a brew then I will get back to the course.
    Intel i7 x5960 @ 4.6GHz (8 cores) | Asus Titan X x2 + MSI Titan X x2 | Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Quad Ram | 1 BuRay Writer | 4 x 1TB HD's | Asus PB287Q 4K Gaming Monitor + Dell 24" Monitor | 1500W PSU | 150 Mbps Internet with NTL | Win 10 64 | My Home Page

Are you sure it's opening into the actual scene you've been working on? Open the project, then double click on the scene file... if I'm right, the scene will load in properly then...

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Thank you fatgav, But unfortunately I have already fixed it. But I will keep an eye for that next time .

In case anyone is following along I have just finished video 58. That means, unfortunately, that there is no point in doing a screen grab as there is nothing to new see. So applying the smoothing to the landscape went with out a hitch, which is always good news. Then we changed the way the destroying and creation methods worked and those went by smoothly too. Oh yeah we also modified the code so that no matter where the character starts from in the world there would be ground under her feet.

It seems that the landscape/world looks as it should and, as like Jason says in the videos, I too wish the code would speared out over all the CPU's in my system. I meaning while doing this course I have 11 sat there twiddling their thumbs, as it were.

The next few videos are meetings and I have already listened to those so my next session will be session 3 video 65 and I think it's going to be most clean up stuff. So I am looking forwards to those.

Very glad to read that you got the issue fixed! excellent news.
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

Well thank you for that but although it is fixed I had no part in fixing it. That bugs me somewhat as I would have loved to know were it was wrong and how it was fixed.

A well that's life I guess all I can say is that I may not be able to do more of the course today as I am too busy. As you told me that you were up to about the same place as me so how is your learning coming along ?

Due to my awful programming skills I did start having another issue again with the coding side of things. So this weekend I have restart the whole course again. You see I was getting very frustrated by little problems popping up all other the place so I took a hammer to the projects directory and started it again.

So I am now up to video 11.

Ouch. That section that you are on is very easy to have 1 wrong value and screw things up. Just double and triple check everytime you are ready to move on. I had a problem similar to yours because I wasn't applying the smoothing to certain axis. But it was so long ago I don't think I would be much help .

-Dane
    You know you want to!

Well I had to do something as I had been through the code 4 times. So I treated it like modelling there you hit with a hammer and start over so that's what I did. The truth is it was driving me crazy going over the code again and again.

So now you know why I am starting over. I think it's a better thing to do than quitting .

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast