Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Free RPG tutorials

I came accross burgzergarcade's tutorials on how to make an action RPG game engine in Unity. I havn't gone through them yet, but they are in C# and it looks like they cover a large array of topics spanning 207 videos in HD.

This should be a great supplement for those in the MMO class, and even more so for those that are not.

Enjoy!

Nice Find there. could be some interesting things to use.
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

Very nice find, thanks for sharing! I bet that can come in handy for the MMO-class aswell, a fast glance at the videos showed that they cover character customization, looting, equip, healt bars, day and night cycle and GUI programming and much more, and the village in video 065 looks sweet enough.
    It is almost insaine not being a game developer these days with all the high amount of free quality training that is out there. Though for my part I stick with UDK and the ADP class, it will keep me occupied for atleast a year

I'm going to check these out, see what they can actually do. It looks really good, I just hope they teach it in a form like Jason and the rest of the 3dBuzz people here. They make it so easy to learn.

Hey good find, Metanol.
    " Imagination is the preview of life's coming attractions " - Albert Einstein
    " If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

My Website: http://www.gamedevlounge.com/

If any post is informative please provide positive feedback by clicking the star below.

Thanks for posting this, looks like it is still under active development (since the last tutorial was posted a few days ago). I'll check this out properly when I get the chance
    A wise man once said to me, "life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid" - Duthos

I've gone through the first 13 now, and I'm generally pleased. Beginners should be fine with the rather slow pace, and some basic concepts are explaned. His code isn't very optimized (yet), but this is a good chance to make the code your own. The first videos has a lot of background noise, because he's on a laptop, but it's not too bad. Not quite the quality we're getting used to from 3d buzz, but hey - it's free and he covers a lot of interesting stuff!

Btw, all the videos are on youtube, and it's easier to follow the playlist. which you also can subscribe to.

I went through the first 2 and I can say, especially by reading the comments, that brand new people will have trouble watching these first ones. He does not explain anything he does, its a monkey see monkey do type of system, which is fine. I would recommend that if you are thinking of this you will be much better off watching the fundamental videos here so you know where everything is. As he says he expects you to know your way around the unity interface.

Other than that its easy to follow as long as you know where to go, or use the pause function of videos I'm going to continue watching these and see how it continues.
    Last edited by Seridaq; 04-27-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Be warned, after about 80 videos he goes through and revamps his system and starts over from scratch at about video 110 or so and re-implements everything. Its a really good series that many have been following.

I do have a couple of complaints about his videos.
    1) As I was watching his videos I was rewriting chunks of his code to make it more efficient.
    2) He pronounces Array like Air-Ray.
    3) He doesn't give adequate explanation. Having watched 3dBuzz's "Theory" videos from the 3rd person videos, other tutorials leave a lot to be desired.
    "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having
    sense enough to be lazy." - Edgar Bergen

Thanks for the find Metanol , i will certainly be taking a look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast