Miz-Maze 3D - WIP

I wrote a little game 7-8 years ago in visual basic. To give myself a better feel for unity I decided to try to rewrite the game using unity. I am no modeler at all so it's all primitive geometry right now.

You can pick up the brown pills (keys) to remove the brown blocks(doors) the goal is to get to the exit point which will be obvious (eventually).

In my VB version I had keys, bombs that unlocked doors and blew up brittle walls as well as warp points that helped you get to the exit point. I had planned on creating some sort of timer or scoring system for it but never got around to it.

This is a very very very rough start to the game. I wanted to get some opinions on it and maybe some more ideas on what to add to make it fun. I was thinking of adding some educational elements to it where you had to answer a math question to unlock the door (aimed at elementary kids, my nieces and nephews came to mind).

http://thomasle.info/unity3d/miz-maze3d/

Any criticism is welcome (except on the art because i know it sucks)

It's currently isometric view, but I am thinking that a first person view would make it perhaps more interesting.
    Last edited by T-Gunn; 04-26-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    "Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - Confucius
    "I see and I forget, I hear and I remember, I do and I understand" - Confucius
    "My mom didn't see the irony in calling me a son-of-a-b**ch" -- Jack Nicholson
    "'Con' is the opposite of 'Pro',so that makes congress the opposite of progress"

I think you have a very good start there.
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

Hey T-Gunn I would like to play it some more and help give you some ideas but I kept having an odd glitch where when I touched the first blue pole it tried teleporting me to the other blue pole, which it's supposed to I assume but it kept knocking me out of the level completely and at that point the controls lock up. It could possibly maybe have something to do with how collisions are be resolved but not sure.

Have you had this happen before or is this the first time your hearing about it?
    " Imagination is the preview of life's coming attractions " - Albert Einstein
    " If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

My Website: http://www.gamedevlounge.com/

If any post is informative please provide positive feedback by clicking the star below.

I would work on how you get snapped back on path if you move off of it.
    The snapping does not look good.

You should just make it so the player can not move where there is a collision
    (and then there would be no need to snap him back in place).

Thank you for the kind words. I am trying to figure out how to use collisions correctly. I have a rigid body on the player and box colliders on the walls. I made the box colliders bigger than the actual boxes because you could go up against the boxes and halfway go into them (getting snapped back, just it looks like you can partially go through the wall, which is why i made it so you have to be in the center of the lanes).

My other issue is how to do the doors properly. I have it as a trigger and just deduct the key count and make the door disappear, but if you dont have a key, because the collider is a trigger, the player can go right through the door. I added a sphere collider as the trigger and then kept the box collider as what should stop the rigid body, but it didn't work the way I expected. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwest View Post
    Hey T-Gunn I would like to play it some more and help give you some ideas but I kept having an odd glitch where when I touched the first blue pole it tried teleporting me to the other blue pole, which it's supposed to I assume but it kept knocking me out of the level completely and at that point the controls lock up. It could possibly maybe have something to do with how collisions are be resolved but not sure.

Have you had this happen before or is this the first time your hearing about it?
    I do know that it can knock you out of the level (I will update it with the fix shortly), but it shouldn't do it every time.

I also want to figure out how to smooth the controls so that you dont have to push the button each time to move, you should be able to hold the button.
    Last edited by T-Gunn; 04-30-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    "Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - Confucius
    "I see and I forget, I hear and I remember, I do and I understand" - Confucius
    "My mom didn't see the irony in calling me a son-of-a-b**ch" -- Jack Nicholson
    "'Con' is the opposite of 'Pro',so that makes congress the opposite of progress"