Terrain + Flight? Possible without LoD?

Hey, all,

So, I was thinking how cool it would be to add some flying mounts to my game, say a Dragon, Griffon, etc. But, once you gain a little altitude, you can suddenly see a LOT more terrain than you could from the ground.

That made me wonder, is flight possible to do well given the way we've chosen to implement our terrain system? With LoD it seems like it'd "just work," but I heard in one of Lee's recent R&D videos that LoD wasn't possible given our implementation.

Thoughts, anyone? What challenges does adding flight bring to the game?

Thanks,
    Jeff

I know, it's bad form to reply to my own thread, but I just found this post in the Terrain thread. Amazing. I'm thinking my dreams of riding on the back of a Dragon are more possible than I first believed.

Grinning,
    Jeff

Now I believe I said dynamic or real time LOD isn't possible and that isn't so much a limit of our implementation since I had it working but then remove it. The limitation is in what Unity is capable of handling via scripting with performance of generating meshes, collision meshes, normals, and tangents on the fly being the bottleneck. That does not mean we can't fly. In fact if you jump over and take a look at the latest post I made in the terrain wip thread you'll see that there is now a way to transition from the ground all the way up to the edge of space. At the highest altitude there is roughly 10,000sq km of visible terrain.

Here are the screenshots from that post.

I took both these shots from with one of my side R&D experiments. It is still a little (okay very) rough but basically as the camera goes higher the fog color changes and the skybox gets turned off. Once I get the sky system in place so we can get rid of the skybox all together we should have a very convincing simulation of climbing to the upper stratosphere and returning to the surface.

What it boils down to is that there are other tricks that can be employed to make this work other than dynamic LOD with seam stitching all that is needed is a little outta the box thinking. Have no fear though we will get you there and before you know it you'll have dragons and griffins flying all over the place.

Edit:

I see you found the post on your own while I was writing this one. Guess I need to learn how to type faster.
    “little expense has been spared to give the impression that no expense has been spared.” - Douglas Adams

Love those two shots Lee, reminds me of some shots of earth from low orbit. That being said you're not quite there yet
    Dangerous. Mute. Lunatic.
    <Toastage>: and you're like "Ey Joe it is Smismar, I am belgium, ishn't that veird. Fix mai internetz or I cut you yehs?"

Always impressive to see these things at work, time to get back to the coal face and start mining code again.
    ( ! ) Assets/_Scripts/TP_Camera.cs(50,35): BCE0000: WTF?