Hybrid View

Cant Get Basic #rd Person Controller to Function :(

I am going thru the video using the latest version of unity. And I cant get the Basic controller and Motor to function properly.
    It has the character controller component and I went thru the videos twice :

TP_Controller

Code:
    NO LONGER NEEDED
    TP_Motor

Code:
    NO LONGER NEEDED
    When hit the W key either nothing happens or the character moves up in the air. And the Unity editor is showing No errors. I did not use a compiler I used Unity's default editor.

Any help would be Awesome
    Last edited by fatgav; 04-12-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Code removed as it wasn't the source of the problem.

The problem is with your model, not your code... Sounds like you modelled it in a z-up rather than y-up application (probably Max or Blender..?); if that's the case, you'll need to re-export the model so it's facing in the +Z direction (ie, lying on it's back with feet pointed towards -Y).

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

I'm not sure that is it cause I'm testing on a default Unity capsule and a Unity cube. Both with character controllers.

Yeah I just double checked The default object lie on the proper axis. Either I tyed something wrong or the code simply doesn't work.

Do this if you can: Run your game, select what your using as your character and take a screen shot of the options panel. Upload it somewhere and link it here. I'm just curious since from what I can tell your code looks OK.

Here you go :

If that's the starting position of the 2 cubes, it's probable that their colliders intersect or that the camera is starting inside another object... that could cause this sort of strangeness.

I found

It seemed to have been a collider issue from the cube i was using as a nose. Thanks But that make me wonder why and how difficult it will be to add objects to a final player.

Glad you got it sorted! In terms of adding parts to a character; there should be no problems as long as you check that there's no colliders on subobjects, all translations / orientations /scales match, etc.... These are things that you need to consider whatever engine you're working with, btw, not just in Unity.

Cheers, G.

I found

There are a lot of tricks to do, and doing collisions on only certain objects is one of them. Here is a look at how you go about using Layers to dictate what collides with what: http://unity3d.com/support/documenta...detection.html With this information you can then make all your cubes be on a layer called "Player" or something and make them not collide with other "Player"s on that layer. One problem with doing all this is the limit of layers.