Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new art dump

new art dump

Starting on the humans.. some quick ones, but good to be drawing again

I think we have a good start on the races look, I wanted to vary the heads, try to make them look unique now.

weapon ideas....first pass

Case 2124-1971 TOP Secret
    Pathologist: Malcolm Ziegler

The walls of the heart are made up of three layers, while the cavity is divided into five parts. There are two upper chambers, called the right and left atria, and two lower chambers, the right and left ventricles. The Right Atrium, receives blood from the upper and lower body through the superior vena cava and the inferior vena cava, respectively, and from the heart muscle itself through the coronary sinus
    The fifth chamber is an unknown. Once opened, the interior of the main heart glows with Energy. The heart is pulsating low radioactive levels.
    The color of the hearts outer layer is obsidian black. The heart weighs five pounds 3 ounces.
    Within the lungs, the mucus-lined bronchi split like the branches of a tree into tens of thousands of ever smaller tubes (bronchioles), which connect to tiny sacs called alveoli. The lungs weigh 10 pounds 8 ounces each.

The smaller heart is still an enigma; I am running test on it now to determine what functions can be learned from the specimen.

There are a few different looks, the head is changed, not all have the hinged legs. I feel we are getting close.
    I am going to keep all art I do on this thread. Come back and check every once in a while for updates

Name of examiner: Dr. Malcolm Ziegler
    File number: 2124-1971
    Length: 2 meters Weight 289 pounds
    Livor Mortis: Deep blue skin, with yellow tent. Patterns indicate tattoo. Further study on skin tissue to determine if the yellow tent is part of the epidermis, or a foreign substance.,

External Appearance

The external appearance of this cadaver was of an alien with an enlarged hairless cranium. Hands and feet are large. Two Fingers and thumb, feet have three appendages. Fingerprints of a swirl-left pattern were observed and taken. There appear to be retractable claws.
    Sexual organs appeared to be those of a male. Ears are large, Folds of skin in the corners of eye lids. It would appear upon examination that the lids shut from the sides. Lips were vestigial and the mouth contained sharp angular teeth. The nose is flat, resulting in what appeared to be a very thin and delicate organ.

Eyes were distinguished by the almond-shaped and by far the most prominent facial feature. The eyeballs are flat, black and appear to have a faint glow in the absence of light.

1. Examination of the hands.
    Extensor digit Ist Longus and bresi muscles. The tendon is thicker than that of a human, it would indicate greater strength.
    The transverse ligament fastening the tendon together is the means in which the retractable claws work.
    Further analyses of the claw show that it is not made of hard protein called keratin.

2. Examination of chest:
    In my next report.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alien_concept_09_by_derek_stevens-d4xqlgp.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	568.6 KB 
ID:	72714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alien_conccpet_08_by_derek_stevens-d4riacy.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	583.3 KB 
ID:	72713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alien_concept_09_by_derek_stevens-d4xqlgp.jpg 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	72694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cake_by_derek_stevens-d4xqlbm.jpg 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	72693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alien_conccpet_08_by_derek_stevens-d4riacy.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	72692  

Last edited by thecrow; 05-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Interesting to see the evolution in one place. Thanks for sharing, I wish I had enough talent in this field to offer constructive criticism.
    ( ! ) Assets/_Scripts/TP_Camera.cs(50,35): BCE0000: WTF?

DMJ, thanks for the good words. It was neat to put them all together, and like you said see the evolution. I know we still have a ways to go, but I have a good feeling about this project.
    Crow

That looks awesome D.

Amazing talent!

Well done, love to see the evolution...

As far as the woman standing near the X-ray looking bones, you drew, goes, I am liking her look. I know I know, the big question is what do I think of her legs, right? Well, I got to tell you, at least in the one drawing of her, I think I am liking them. In that drawing they look pretty solid in there design, as far as supporting her weight and all that. They also look like they could be pretty springy, and make her be able to do some nice high jumping. I was hopping for that feel to the extra jointed legs, and I think you have finally got it with that one.

One thing I do have to say, is that I would really like to see her in different poses now, before I can really give my support to the new look.

Yeah you know looking at it and thinking about how they would work, I would say that I think the bottoms part of the leg is going to be a bit long right now once you try and do things like squatting. Have you thought about how squatting will work. I know just how it should work and if you are not sure I could draw something out. I think you could describe what is going on right now as the legs being bottom heavy. By that I mean that the gravity will be off as soon and she goes into a full squat, that is to say if she squats anything like a dog. But that bottom leg bone that goes from where are knees our, to her foot, would be much smaller on a dogs. And that bone goes down to the ground from it's starting joint as if it was an extension of the foot, which is why they say that it is more like are heal then a knee. As you know the need you made for her is up there by her hip. But if she tried to squat like a dog would she would fall over on her back.

I like that you made her legs long, but I think you should try and make that “Heel”, (the joint that is where are knees are), a little lower down. You may even what to bring “her” knee down a little bit more, not down to where human knees are, but just a little down from where it is, if you are going to bring here “heel” joint down a bit.

I used your X-ray like bone drawing to show you want I mean about how squatting is tricky right now. The one that is in the middle is the most like how a dog sits. The one on the right is the only one that looks like it could support her weight without tipping over, but it just isn't much of her squat.

Anyway, all I am saying is that, even though your drawing is looking good in the standing position, I think you are going to need to make a few small changes in bone sizes and joint placements to make it work for movement like squatting. But I think you are really getting close to the right look for the legs. I think you got the basic look down, it is just about fixing the proportions to make it more functional. Good work Crow! I think I like the basic design of your legs better then what Zak did and better then just tall human like legs that I was thinking of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bone_squatting_study Elythains.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	71560

Edit:

Sorry about the size of the picture. I had it zoomed in and forgot about it, so I thought I was taking up most of the page with it, else I would have cropped it.

wolf, you forgot to bend the foot under.
    Crow

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    wolf, you forgot to bend the foot under.
    Crow
    why would you bend the foot under? So are you saying that you think that when they squat they should do so on the topside of their feet? That sounds really painful.

I will look into it.
    Crow
    Last edited by thecrow; 04-12-2011 at 08:05 PM.

OK, I think what you meant is that they would be standing on their tiptoes when they squat like we do, and not that they would completely flip backwards, as I had first interpreted what you said. Yes that makes a lot more sense. I was kind of trying to do just that on the right most X-ray. I know I did not do a perfect job on that but I was trying to do that one as an example of a way to bend that would be more human like. As far as the other x-rays go, I was trying to give an example of how they might work if they were more like how a dogs legs work, I also believe that a horse's legs work very similarly.
    But the one in the middle was the closest to how a dogs legs look when they are squatting. They, unlike us, don't stand on their tiptoes when they squat. They just bring down their “heel” to lie flat with their “foot”, or paws. That is all I was trying to illustrate sense the look of the legs resemble that kind of an animal.

I am not saying that they need to work the way I showed above, I was only trying to illustrate the possible problem that I was foreseeing, or that is to say my concern that you might find problems down the line when animating different poses. I was not trying to, and did not, tell you that you needed to change it, but only suggested that you might want to try some different thing, if the issue should come up, that would maybe help make it work nicer.

Let me also say this, you are a much better artiest then I am. I also never said, or meant to imply that I was an expert in any of this. All I have ever done is try and be of help to you.

+

All that being said, I have to say I was really thrown back by your comment, “When Zak my art Dir, has a problem with them, he will let me know.” Now I don't know what your intentions were with that statement, but I interpreted it as trying to let me know that I was not your art director and that I have over stepped my place with my comments. If that is indeed what you were trying to get across to me then let me be clear in stating that I have no delusions of being in charge of anything. I am not trying to give you orders only suggestions that may or may not be helpful to you. My hope is that some of them will be. I also have no need of getting “my way” about anything. They Elythians could look like anything, and I would be plenty happy with the MMO class.

I have been under the impression that my comments were of some value to you. Now that felt good to me that I seemed to be somewhat helpful to you in my feed back. You seemed to be paying attention to what I had to say. I haven't been posting as much lately because I have been trying to catch up with the class, but when I saw that you had new stuff, I kind of felt like I needed to have your back and give you some feedback. If you look at this post, I am the only one that has really gone into more detail then, “It looks great.” I am not knocking those people in anyway, as that is also very good to get that kind of feedback, even just saying I like this one or that one the best, is a big help. You don't have to go into great detail. But I also like to get detailed criticism when I show something. I was under the impression that you did as well.

It says on the top of your thread here, “Thoughts, be nice.” I read that as thought would be nice, but I guess you meant share your thoughts, but do so in a nice way. I still don't think I did anything in a mean way though. In fact I was very positive about it, and just wrote what I liked about it, but I also added my concerns. I thought I was being very helpful. In fact I even took the time to try and illustrate what I was concerned with about the design, and I tried to make some helpful suggestions about what I thought might be some things you could try to make it work.

If you are confidant that it can work nicely as is, then great, I would love to see what you come up with. I was just trying to point out a possible problem, that you might have missed, and was encouraging you to draw some squatting Elythains to make sure that it can work how you want it too.

See I was going out of my way, trying to help you. It took a lot of time for me to think on it and then respond, and even illustrate my thoughts for you. I could have gotten in some video lessons in that time instead. But I have been so active in your threads every time you upload in a new picture, that I thought you might feel disappointed if I didn't say anything. So I thought, no, I have got to have Derek's back here and give a worthy response to his post. I know I would have felt like that, and would be very happy to have someone respond with that kind of detail to any art that I did. I always appreciate it when I get a good response to anything I post.

I have to wonder if you mistook some of my words for meaning something other then their intent. One line comes to mind

“I would really like to see her in different poses now, before I can really give my support to the new look.”

I used the word support because it was an easy fast way for me to express the idea without unnecessarily explaining everything. It was just a way for me to say, I think I like it as is, but I may not like it so much if I saw it squatting. I was not trying to act like you needed my “support”, or that my ideas carried any particular weight. And I have no problem with them not carrying any weight. In fact every post that I have done, that was not asking for help with something, was an intent on my part to be helpful and to give something back to 3D Buzz, however little it may be. I am not trying to control anything about this project, only sharing my thoughts, for whatever they might be worth.

Also, when I said, about the legs and squatting;

“I know just how it should work”

I meant that if they work like a dog then I know how they should, as I have been studding how my dogs legs work. I did not mean that that was the only way they could work.

I think there was another thing that you may have taking wrong, but I can't find it right now.

Like I said, I don't know what your intentions were by that comment, but it sounds to me, and probably to some others, that you don't really want any kind of detailed feed back, even thought the start of your thread seems to ask for feedback. It feels like a mixed message. I have no problem keeping my thoughts to myself if you prefer, and really if you don't value them then they are not really worth the time and effort that goes in to writing them out for you. I am fine with just saying “nice work” and leaving it at that. I do really like your work by the way. I was really only doing more to try and help, and out of respect for you and your efforts in this project, and it feel good to participate where I can.

But with your comment, it now sounds to me like you don't want to hear my thoughts and only care what Zak may think about it. Unless you tell me otherwise I will just assume that is the case and keep my comments to myself and save myself some time. But maybe you just said that because you misunderstood me and thought I was trying to order you around or something. I am not upset at you either, I am just a little disheartened by, at least how I read, that comment. It took some of my energy away, and may have kept some other people from posting their thoughts.

Anyway, peace be with you brother, and good luck with all the concept art you are working so hard on.

Note:

Humm. I just saw that you edited your post. So maybe you have decided that you sounded to harsh, or that I didn't mean what you thought I might have. Any I spent a lot of time on this, and just so that there is no confusion for the future I will post this anyway.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast