Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Orbit around vertex in 3ds Max

Hello,
    Is there any way to orbit around the selected vertex in 3ds Max?
    Thanks,
    Matt

Select the vertex and hit the "Zoom extents selected" button. This will zoom in and center the camera on that vert.
    <NelsonLaQuet1> isnt denmar rambow and sunshine happy land?

Hi Dobe,
    Thank you for your suggestion.

"Zoom extents selected" button works the way you described but does not give me this what I am looking for.
    Perhaps I should have used a different word to describe the required behavior. Let's try pivoting or rotating a model around the selected vertex.
    Perhaps this particular functionality is not available in 3ds Max and orbiting camera is the only choice?

Regards,
    Matt

Vertex snap a helper to the vertex, then link your model to that helper and rotate the helper, or select your model and use the helper as a Pick transform coordinate center and then switch to Use Transform Coordinate Center.

As far as I know, you can't use a selected component as a transform coordinate center. I mean, that said, you may be able to pull something off with a Select Component and Xform, but that's probably way out of the way.

Can't you just set your snaps toggle to vertex and go to your Hierarchy panel and select "Affect Pivot Only", then snap the pivit to the vert of your choice. You would be able to rotate the model around said vertex then. If I misunderstood you then disregard

Quote Originally Posted by Julio_R View Post
    Can't you just set your snaps toggle to vertex and go to your Hierarchy panel and select "Affect Pivot Only", then snap the pivit to the vert of your choice. You would be able to rotate the model around said vertex then. If I misunderstood you then disregard
    Yes but if he did that, if this is for an animation, then that might be limiting. Suppose he wants the model to rotate around a vertex but then he wants it to go off and do something else. Animating after that point would be very hard with the pivot point so far off center like that, and if he moved the pivot point it would ruin his rotating animation.

Better to take Zak's suggestion and put a link constraint on the rotating object, so that that way he can link it to the dummy to rotate around the vertex, and then link it to the world when he's done and wants the object to do something else.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your comments.

Zak,
    What is "helper"? How do I create it?

Command0-182,
    I want to set up a temporary center of rotation at one of many vertices, zoom in to it, rotate the model to my liking, modify polygons using this vertex and select another vertex as temporary center of rotation. I feel that Zak's method will work but it will take many mouse clicks to set up a temporary center of rotation for every vertex I have to use.
    I wonder if these mouse clicks can be recorded and converted into macro in which the only variable will be vertex location defined by vertex snap.

This would be a very cool syntax allowing to jump from vertex to vertex and rotate around each one quite fast.

I would be grateful for additional comments and suggestions.
    Matt

Down in the lower right corner of the interface you will find some buttons that deal with manipulating the viewport and camera. The second to last one deals with orbiting (see attachment for an insta-graphic of the buttons I"m talking about). I believe the default is just "orbit" which I find is not much use. Orbit Selection and Orbit SubObject are much more useful and I usually keep it on the last one. If you use SubObject Orbiting when you select a vertex, for example, your viewport center of rotation is now that vertex (until you pan away). If you make a different section that will be the new orbit point, and so on.

Another viewport trick you might find useful is using the "I" hotkey. It centers the viewport on your cursor without any zoom. It can be handy sometimes instead of zoom extents.

ATTACH=CONFIG]71414[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orbitaloptions.png 
Views:	444 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	71414  

Hi Nezach,
    Thanks a lot.
    Your method works and does exactly what I was looking for.
    Now I can orbit very slowly ( ALT + LBM ) and accurately around any vertex that becomes temporarily the 3D rotation point for the viewport.
    Cheers,
    Matt

You are welcome. Thanks for letting us know what worked for you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast