Help creating an effect...

Hey,

I'm working on a website and I'm trying to set up a navigation system similar to the one found at http://www.immigrantrecords.com/immi...ords/index.htm

Now, I found a tutorial on creating this effect at www.kirupa.com, but its very vague, and i not only want to know how to build it, but also how it works. If anyone knows where a better tutorial on this sliding menu effect is located, I'd appreciate it very much if you could throw the link my way.

Thanks,

X667

That site is very similar to http://www.2advanced.com. Which is a kick @ss site.

The navigation menu looks to me like it uses mouse over states for the actual links. when your mouse intersects with the bar with the words, there is a black splotch that is shown.

The mouse over looks animated, so it is a bit more complex than just a simple button mouse over. What is happening is that there is a button that is embedded into another movie. This movie holds the animation for the button. The button itself has only one state programmed, but you use action script to detect the mouse and advance to specific frames and play inside the movie itself.

The sliding pictures at the top seem to be one long row of pictures, or a bunch of pictures that look like they are strung together. When a button is clicked, there is action script called in to slide the pictures to the left or right, probably by the amount of pixels in width the picture is. It also looks like there is some friction calculations added in too.

I'm not a programmer, and not too good at action scripting yet, but I think that I'm pretty close with my guess.

if i had to guess i'd say that the arrow/shadow thingie is just a sliding mask that's linked to the x position of the mouse, as you move your mouse left or right over that clip it follows it. there's a series of buttons there as well, when you rollover any one of those it just shows the over state of the button. i don't know the exact code for the mouse position but do a bit of looking online and you should be able to find something, flashkit.com has a lot of searchable tutorials and downloadable movies.

chris

hmm.....

all these sites which look like 2a, are infact just rips of 2a..

eric jordan (the founder of 2a) is the guy who came with this whole interface and since then, people have copied him immmensely.....any of the 1 million members on flashkit will be glad to verify that..

first of all, my advice, please, please, please, do not try and make anything that even remotely resembles 2a..
    trust me...it has been overdone...
    the flash community pretty much hates the people who copy the 2a look (around 266 sites with the same 2a rip interface)

so, try your best to be orignal...

have you ever looked at www.whoswe.com
    ?

maybe that will draw a lot more inspiration..
    i cannot stress enough not to use anything that even remotely resembles 2a

Lightbulb

If you check the 2advanced portfolio you can see that immigrantrecords.com is made by 2advanced.
    So that might be y the two sites look similar.

2a..
    the website itself is good..
    i dont like the company though..

every..yes...every site they have made, they have copied their interface around with them.

i hate that company..
    and if u were in the flash community and have been even a bit involved on the biggest flash community in the world (flashkit.com) u would know that everyone is starting to hate that site as well.

Added to that fact is that Eric Jordan is considered to be a pompous git by some (although, I don't know the guy personally--he could be a saint!), and all that kerfuffle about Jordan ripping off one of Jens Karlssons cool designs in one of his old interfaces. Really, back on the old dreamless.org, all they used to do was slate Eric Jordan. So, no, he's not particularly liked in the Flash community.

That said, I do think 2A is a pretty yummy site, although it's now the most ripped style ever...

I would say some of the submenus of www.whoswe.com are very large 3mb!!!

What would feel a 56k modem owner visiting that page

it is said that the eye candy part of their website is for broadband..
    it is really clearly stated.
    there is a html version for dailups..