Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Ok, I have my idea and I've borrowed the camera. I'll have the pictures done tomorrow and posted before the contest ends!

I was really excited about the theme of this topic and although I took quite a lot of pictures I didn't really manage to live up to my expectations. Well, I simply tried to take a picture of anything interesting I came across and I couldn't find anything good. The harder I tried in fact the worse it got. :-D I love details and putting them into context. Moreover it looked like one of the easiest topics for a photograph because you can shoot anything you want. I don't understand why it was so hard for me to find something. I guess I just wasn't in the right mood... In the end I persuaded my lovely girlfriend to take part in this contest and allow me to use the photographs I took during our dinner, which saved the day to be honest

My entry for the contest

Other attempts I wanted to show you just for fun (any critiques or comments are very welcome )

Mind Duck Games check out our game prototypes ;.)

Hey Ray()...I am really drawn to the picture of the tire. It's that up close of the fingers gripping the bolt that really gets me. I think you did better than you think you did...lol.

Here's my entry:

Focus Shot
    I took this using Angela's AWESOME Canon EOS 20D. I used the 100mm macro lens at f2.8, 1/25s and an ISO of 200. This really helped me get a super shallow DoF. I used my livingroom lamp and sunlight coming in from the window for lighting this shot.

Context Shot
    I took this with the same camera but this time used the 28-80mm lens at f3.5, 1/60s and an ISO of 200. I used the exact same set-up for the lighting and thought that it worked out real well. I set this whole thing up in my living room on one of my end tables.

Totally not happy with it. Anyhow, the other shots in here are great!

EDIT: btw. if you find some odd spots (aka pixels)...I currently using a seriously old (like first-to-second gen. digital camera) which has some sort of dead pixels (perhaps the lens is scratched or whatever) -.-
    Last edited by Yezariael; 04-07-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Alright! Great entries so far everyone! I have an off Friday tomorrow, so I'll try and sneak in some time during my busy schedule to get something cool for the contest. I STILL haven't had a chance to use those macro extension tubes, so you can bet I'll be doing something with those.

By the way Ray, you're a lucky guy! She's purdy! =D
    -Mr. 3d

Jamianne, I like the detail of those spheres the focus is very nice. The centered composition with a reflection in the other shot is a good idea. However it just feels like it lacks something. Maybe the shadow ruins it a little bit.

Yezariael, for how simple the idea is, it looks very good. The lighting could be better but I like it. The only flaw I can see is that it looks a little bit "stock" to me if you know what I mean. You might have tried shooting a detail of cutting a slice of the lemon for instance or something a little bit different to make it more interesting. But it might be just me.

I love Clone3d's photo of the guitar but the musical notation is a little worse. I would be interested in seeing a shot along the strings of the guitar focusing on the blue reflection or the tuning knobs (I hope that's the right term :-D ) for example. But you might have tried it already.

The lighting, both focus and context, the scene and composition of mr_charisma's entry is nearly perfect I would say. It couldn't look any better as far as I'm concerned but at the same time I wouldn't mind if there was something more original as the photographed object. I have seen just too many pictures like this I guess. It doesn't make it a bad picture though.

Btw a few people told me that they like my photo with the tire. So now I'm thinking whether I shouldn't have chosen that one for the contest. I might simply be biased because I love what I see in the picture I chose quite literally :-D. What do you think?
    Mind Duck Games check out our game prototypes ;.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray() View Post
    Yezariael, for how simple the idea is, it looks very good. The lighting could be better but I like it. The only flaw I can see is that it looks a little bit "stock" to me if you know what I mean. You might have tried shooting a detail of cutting a slice of the lemon for instance or something a little bit different to make it more interesting. But it might be just me.
    Yes, the lightning is incredibly bad. But I'm missing both the skills and knowledge for that, and the camera did the rest (well if you know how to properly use it, itwould be less of a problem Im sure).

Actually, at first I took a few pictures of me cutting the lemon in half and I liked the lightning on the blade better in those shots (with some water drops on the blade making it look more interesting "fresh"), but I didn't like how the background looked (those other lemons and stuff came later on) - it looked too boring or so. I didn't have to much time to prepare shot properly, was more or less a last minute task before leaving for my parents place. So I couldn't retake my previous shots. I guess for the time I invested I should probably be quiet and happy about the results ~~. Thanks for the comment though, I appreciate it!

Finally, here is mine, late to the party as usual!

The Closeup was shot with: ISO 250, 300mm, f/6.3, 1/2000 sec
    The Wide shot was: ISO 250, 70mm, f/11, 1/500 sec
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

Ray(): Yeah, I tried doing the strings/tuning pegs. Didn't work out the way I wanted it, and the message wasn't as clear as I wanted it to be.

We wouldn't want it any other way with you Kuanbyr Fashionably late I believe is the term

And Mr3d_PHD, the contest officially ends in a couple of hours, but if you can squeeze in your image before I come home on saturday, you're in.
    Please, call meg Johnny.

Photography 101!

My photography site

Quote Originally Posted by NinaCovington
    Hahahahaha! Yes!!!!! You are awesome, Clone!!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast