Quote Originally Posted by Toastage View Post
    Did you check the front page recently?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Oh snap!
    Someone just got told.

Quote Originally Posted by Toastage View Post
    Did you check the front page recently?
    As a matter of fact, yes.

There a YAIB with heading blurbs from the past several FB posts, but not the articles themselves, and no recent tweets whatsoever.

What I was thinking of was much more along the lines of the "Latest Videos" YAIB sidebar module on the top Forums page...*perfect* placement.

And apologies to the OP for having added to the hijaaking of the thread, and of course congrats to the winners!

Hey dochogan, I sort of see where you're coming from. Are you saying the feed could be more effectively placed? That's a possibility but I think it's important to remember that the feed isn't designed to be a main feature. It's more of a full stop or footer for the main portal page where users are directed to the content that captures their attention. Effectively it's a bridge between two areas of the site that people can intercept on facebook. While it would probably get more traffic, there are a few complications that would arise with moving this bridge to the forums like you suggested. Firstly, you're presenting community snippets from the heart of the community, effectively removing the bridge. Secondly, it goes from being a support feature on the front page to a main feature in the forums and that would potentially detract from the forum content. So instead of driving people to the forums, you drive them to facebook which isn't the intended purpose of the feed. All the while you're aiming to direct users to forum posts while they're already in the forums which seems a bit of an inefficient use of space to me. I may be wrong though.

The original idea was to replace the waning twitter feed and cutting room floor banner and inject some regularly updated content. The primary focus of which is to feed users to the content on the forums but as a secondary function, present users with the ability to subscribe to that community news, basically clipping the ticket on the way through. And what do most users have in common? A facebook account. So it really is hitting two birds with one stone. You're directing users from a portal page to content they're after and retaining their attention through facebook. Personally I feel it's been a successful proof of concept to test whether it's a plausible community feature and replacement to the twitter feed. Which I feel it's done in spades.

Not sure about the the lack of links to the articles though. Most of the posts on the feed link back to the original thread on the forums. The whole point of the feed is to direct users to community goings-on as well as injecting some outside news. About twitter, do you not feel that the facebook feed is far more efficient in every way than a twitter feed? I can't really see the advantage of splitting news content between twitter and facebook at this time. Considering more people have facebook accounts and the facebook feed allows for richer content, especially considering this is a multimedia community.

But I can see where you're coming from as far as the latest videos aspect. At the moment the new videos links tend to go to the announcement post on the forums but I'll ponder on the idea of posting direct links to the videos and see how that works out
    Last edited by Toastage; 03-19-2011 at 02:50 AM.

oh no. They put toastage in charge?
    [quote][\quote]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345