Characters exported as .FBX from DAZ 3D Studio import funny into Unity.

I was attempting to import a character that I have made in DAZ Studio 3.1 into Unity Standard as an .FBX Export, only to find out that it came out funny when it imported in, sometimes only the character's clothes would import and not the character itself, or parts of the character that did import in look all bitten out of, stuff like that. What's the best method to make double sure that the character will import the whole way in without anything missing? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

never used Daz before but have you made sure the normals are all pointed out?
    elevating to new levels of knowledge (that's the plan at least )

Wedgebob,

Go to http://www.burgzergarcade.com/tutori...-course-part-1

There is a set of 3 videos talking about using Daz3d and Unity. It should help with your problem.

Are you attempting to export directly out of Daz Studio into Unity?

If so are you using The GRM (game ready model) or are you using the Consumer licensed model AKA PBM (purpose built model)?

The PBM models are all built to studio specifications that in it’s self would limit what you could import into an engine based on the limitations of the design platform. The total polycount of the PBM models can exceed 500K and don’t know of any engine that will directly accept an asset at this level.

Next Daz uses a linking system called bind posting where the accessories are linked to the main skeleton and contain their own skinning solutions that drives the clothing above the surface of the main model. Best guess Unity does not support bind posting so it may simply ignore the element as part of the normal importing process.

Last some engines are fussy about the number of weights that are assigned to a given link as part of the skeletal system and if those limits are exceeded then the model will not load in as part of the import process.

Overall using a PBM is highly inefficient as you will be wasting resources on a model designed for an entirely different purpose so it’s very design could be what is preventing all of the elements importing into Unity.

There are though some tools that you can use that will convert a PBM to a GRM that you can buy that plugs into Daz studio that will convert a model over to something more fitting of what works inside of Unity

http://developer.daz3d.com/i/3d-mode...?cat=1152&_m=d

Decimator will lower the count of the model down to something a bit more reasonable and the Texture Atlas will consolidate both the Uvmap and textures into a single element and image.

Keep in mind that the results are less than perfect so you should be more of the mind that you need to harvest what you need into a host application first like 3ds Max or Maya, unify all the elements, then export to Unity.

Or you can just buy a license to a ready-made GRM.

http://developer.daz3d.com/

Or you ask the same question on the developer board.

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewforum.php...b44e2533641dfc

Might be useful

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=158968

Edit

LOL

Not often you hear a video tutorial where the demonstrator is smoking.
    Last edited by Frankie V; 03-13-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Okay everyone, thanks, I did buy and download the Game Developer's Kit for DAZ Studio 3. I'm gonna give these tools a try.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, I'm hearing that DAZ Studio 4 is set to be a final release soon, so I'm wondering if these tools would carry over via an upgrade. Anybody confirm/deny whether DAZ Studio 4 would offer even better support for Unity 3.x? This would be fairly helpful to know.
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by WedgeBob View Post
    I was attempting to import a character that I have made in DAZ Studio 3.1 into Unity Standard as an .FBX Export.
    Wow, shows how out of it I am, I didn't know you could make a character in DAZ Studio. How did you do that? It doesn't have modeling abilities, I am guessing you modeled a character in some other package then did some setup in DAZ. Wouldn't it be better to go from your modeling package to Unity? Really interested in how you are using DAZ to make a model.
    As to DAZ 4, shouldn't be far off now, I need to install it this weekend and do some tests on what it is capable of, I have some issues with 3.5 that I want to make sure they managed to fix.
    For me, happiness is learning new things.

Yes, what I've meant was that I put together a scene and brought in Stephanie 4 and Victoria 4 into the scene...I knew that DAZ Studio was like a rival tool to Messiah Studio, and imo, much easier to use than Messiah. I actually bring in props and models that I build in MilkShape, then I'm learning Sculptris for doing character modeling, etc... Waiting for Buzz, Zak, and Nelson to get those Blender videos going before I bring in any models and structures from that. However, yeah, I know how everything's coming together.