Hybrid View

Some good music for a demo reel or portfolio?

I'm putting together a video portfolio of some of my work, and I'm trying to make it professional, something I can honestly submit with a resume.

Does anyone have some good ideas about where I can get some good music to use for such a thing?
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    Check up on my progress at:
    marscaleb.com

What I've been doing for my videos recently is going to Jamendo.com, which is a big repository of Creative Commons licensed music. I just browse around until I find something.

I recently came across the below video, and liked the tune (would be great for a portfolio). The guy who created the music releases all his stuff for free, under the Creative Commons. Check his stuff out at http://www.oursvince.com/

EDIT: You can find CC music on soundcloud as well: http://soundcloud.com/creativecommons
    Last edited by cgCody; 03-09-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Nothing says professional like you singing your own demo reel song!

If your reel is long enough for music, it's too long! A good reel is 30-45 seconds long. Also take into consideration that the person screening your reel has most likely already watched 50 of them that day, and has long since muted the sound. So the time spent on music may be better off spent doing other things.
    <NelsonLaQuet1> isnt denmar rambow and sunshine happy land?

Do you have to use license free music for a personal demo reel? You aren't using it for commercial use, and as long as you give credit to the original artist at the end you wouldn't be claiming their work as your own. Also, as long as you don't publish the work (i.e. post it online), then technically you aren't even in the realm of copyright law are you?

I was going to suggest music by The Chemical Brothers. Great ambient music which can be cut off at any time really without sounding too weird.
    -Mr. 3d

Quote Originally Posted by dobe View Post
    If your reel is long enough for music, it's too long! A good reel is 30-45 seconds long. Also take into consideration that the person screening your reel has most likely already watched 50 of them that day, and has long since muted the sound. So the time spent on music may be better off spent doing other things.
    That's a fair point, and I appreciate it, but I'd have to disagree. Even for a 45-second video I would want some music in the background. Not necessarily some bumping techno track like it came from Unreal or something, but just some soft and gentle audio. It makes it far more professional than just silence, as long as the music isn't intrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr3d_PHD View Post
    Do you have to use license free music for a personal demo reel? You aren't using it for commercial use, and as long as you give credit to the original artist at the end you wouldn't be claiming their work as your own. Also, as long as you don't publish the work (i.e. post it online), then technically you aren't even in the realm of copyright law are you?
    That's what I figured. I don't need license free, do I? I was just making a video for personal promotion purposes. There's no money changing hands over this.
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    Check up on my progress at:
    marscaleb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marscaleb View Post
    That's a fair point, and I appreciate it, but I'd have to disagree. Even for a 45-second video I would want some music in the background. Not necessarily some bumping techno track like it came from Unreal or something, but just some soft and gentle audio. It makes it far more professional than just silence, as long as the music isn't intrusive.
    I definitely agree. Dobe is right in that many employers don't even have audio on....and they often only look at the first 12 seconds before deciding it's not good enough before moving to the next one...but that's not always the case. I've had to watch countless demo reels in the past when hiring new employees, and I always keep the audio on. For me, a well fitting audio track can add to the final product, and muting it can take away from it. Anyway, throwing one in there is certainly not going to hurt.
    -Mr. 3d

Yes you do. Unauthorised use is unauthorised use. Whether money is being made is completely irrelevant.

Now, whether a studio/artist cares is another matter. But there is so much good Creative Commons music around, why would you bother risking it. Even Nine Inch Nails' latest releases have been CC licensed.

Unauthorized use isn't necessarily illegal. I can quote the living crap out of someone's book for educational purposes under fair use without any authorization whatsoever. It all depends on context.
    -Mr. 3d