Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Terrain patch loading problem

Hi all,
    I have followed the terrain vids and the TP ones, just imported my TP character stuff into the terrain demo so I could test the patch deletion and loading stuff. I believe I have coded everything exactly what is in the vids, but what I am experiencing is when it goes to delete a row of tiles and load a new set, it lags. It has a short freeze.

I have whizzed through some of the more recent terrain vids to compare my code and can't seem to find any difference. Could this be a hardware problem or something?

Thanks in advance

I too am receiving the same lag you're experiencing, haven't looked into it yet. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

You've not watch all the videos yet. The reason this happens is explained with a solution to fix it (or more correctly minimize it).

Ah okay cheers, I was going to say, in the videos it seemed like a smooth transition. I am running Windows on my Mac using Bootcamp, thought it was down to my hardware causing it.

Just thought I would add that being a complete noob to C# I have been playing around with the terrain stuff all day playing here and there and trying to implement my own heightmap system.

It is getting there, starting to get the hang of C#, code is probably not the cleanest and friendliest etc but after several hours of playing have worked out how to create my world in Earth Sculptor (http://www.earthsculptor.com/) calculate the position from the terrain stuff that I have created from the videos. and work out where on the heightmap it should grab the pixels and then generate the height from it.

Have to say I am pretty impressed with myself. Might seem simple to some people, but hey, got to start from somewhere
    Thanks again for the vids and all the help, wouldn't have been able to get where I am with out it all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terrain.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	71445
    Last edited by MjMAC87; 03-06-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chronos78 View Post
    You've not watch all the videos yet. The reason this happens is explained with a solution to fix it (or more correctly minimize it).
    I have watched all the videos and am getting about a 1 second freeze when it adds/deletes but do not recall what you are referring to. I would expect future videos to show us how to multithread the adding/removing so was not worried about it until I saw your post. Can you please be more specific what you are referring to that we missed?

Thanks!

-Tim

I am too experiencing 1 second lag when a deletion occurs. I was under the impression that the code is incomplete at the moment and that the lag problem would have been fixxed in a later videos. Was I wrong? ^^
    Artanis

My Blog (Italian): http://www.artanis.it
    My Web Site (Italian/English): http://www.fabriziotobia.com
    My Community (Italian): http://www.darksithlords.it

Quote Originally Posted by dilbertian View Post
    Can you please be more specific what you are referring to that we missed?
    I'm referring to the fact that only first half of videos for the 2nd session of terrain R&D videos have been released up to this point. There are still more to come. I'm know I'm good but come on do you really think I could wrap everything that is the terrain system up in only 8 videos and a couple hundred lines of code?
    Last edited by chronos78; 03-07-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chronos78 View Post
    come on do you really think I could wrap everything that is the terrain system up in only 8 videos and a couple hundred lines of code?
    Code:
    Everything everything = new Everything();
    while (true)
    {
      everything.Do();
    }
    ( ! ) Assets/_Scripts/TP_Camera.cs(50,35): BCE0000: WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by D.M.J. View Post
    Code:
    Everything everything = new Everything();
    while (true)
    {
      everything.Do();
    }
    I got that, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I figured the final product would have to be multithreaded/coroutined or something like that.

I was having some issues with the videos and had to restart them a a couple of times so thought that maybe I had missed something more significant.

-Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast