Question How to map HDRI vc to a sphere?

New area for me. I just want to put a exterior location HDRI on a sphere around my object and then push up the base to make a floor.

I have been given a large vertical cross which I would need to orientate so obviously my horizon line is in the right place. The manipulator gizmo I know but I am wondering what else I might need to know specifically about mapping and seeing HDRIs in the camera panel. Anything different in the workflow to mapping a normal bitmap? Is the VC format inappropriate? I expected to see switches to cope with the different image formats as I began.

This is for a real-time app so it's not make renders.

It looks to me like the HDRI format of a 'vertical cross' is not recognised by Maya2011. I had to change it to a rectangular Long/Lat format to map it to a sphere. But then I got annoyed with the hit and miss of Maya's Soft Selection to change the shape of that sphere afterwards. Did you know that the default 0 to 100 slider of the Falloff radius CAN go over 100??

Anyone know how to get Bezier control of the Falloff curve by the way?
    Last edited by Buck Rogers; 03-03-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Making info clearer.