Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by natx View Post
    I'm not sure I'd go that far. Especially for anyone who is new to programming in general or even just C#. I don't care how much more convinient it is to use a tool like this, if you don't know why it's doing what it's doing it will do more harm than good. Refactoring is NOT always a good thing.
    Could you please explain specifically why you think Resharper is not a good investment... especially for those new to programming? Do you use it yourself?

ReSharper is a great investment. I never said it wasn't....
    BUT...
    As a new developer coding speed is irrelevant and a tool such as ReSharper can actually obfuscate the change being made. The reason a seasoned programmer like Nelson can just clickity click and voila it is clean is not because of ReSharper. ReSharper is a tool that makes good coding easier, not a tool that makes good code.

There's a VERY big difference between knowing HOW to use ReSharper and knowing WHY/WHEN to use ReSharper. Programming is far more than just knowing which buttons to push.

Do I currently use ReSharper.. No. I have used it and I like it, but I have other things to put my money into. I don't really need it, because it can't do anything I can't do on my own and in my current job noone tells me how long anything should take, I have carte blanche and I code until I'm done. I have CodeRush Express, but I find I rarely use it. I could go off on some rant about how I'm old school and when I learned to cut code we didn't have fancy schmancy tools to write our code for us, but the reality is it's just my preference.

Whether ReSharper is a good tool or not is not the point. If you like, use it. I stand by my initial statement that if you are having a hard time following Nelson's code (or any of the videos on this site) your money is probably better spent on books and your time is better spent on practicing programming rather than on learning how to use ReSharper.
    I often "Quote" myself. I find it adds spice to my conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by PrototypeII View Post
    Resharper adds so much to productivity that it is certainly worth investing in as a consumer.
    I'm not sure I'd go that far. Especially for anyone who is new to programming in general or even just C#.
    ReSharper is a great investment. I never said it wasn't....
    I am not sure what you originally meant then?

I wasn't suggesting beginners should buy it... but if I employed a new developer today I would certainly get them a copy and teach them a few shortcuts as they went along. Mainly to reduce the massive amount of repetitive typing that programmers endure on a day to day basis, but also because ReSharper is so much more than just refactoring and code generation.

Remember, you don't need to have learnt the entire tool to gain benefits from it.

It doesn't take too many identical cut and paste operations to realise a single keystroke that does the same thing is more efficient (and more fun).

I promise I don't work for JetBrains either

Quote Originally Posted by ;1534522
    Would it help if I just said what was doing, like: "OK, now the argument passed into this method call is going to be aliased into a variable"?
    Gee... wish I'd thought of that...

/me runs and hides from Nelson!

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Would it help if I just said what was doing, like: "OK, now the argument passed into this method call is going to be aliased into a variable"?
    Actually it would have been better if you'd pointed out why, but I haven't watched that video yet, so maybe you did? That said, I think that is outside the scope of the intent of this series, which was the main point I was trying to make in my original post. I really wasn't trying to bash ReSharper or anyone who uses it.

I am not sure what you originally meant then?
    I can understand that, I was a little contradictory.
    I often "Quote" myself. I find it adds spice to my conversations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12