Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MUD Testbed for MMO Gameplay features

I had an idea yesterday which, if implemented it might be useful.

If you are unfamiliar with the term MUD, it stands for Multi User Dungeon and they were kind of like the precursor to graphical MMOs. It is essential an MMO that is based in a text driven world.

Because it is in a text driven world, I should be able to put together a server and client quite quickly in such a way that new features are easy to integrate. Do any of you guys think it might be useful for prototyping gameplay concepts that could come into the play in the MMO, but without having to fully implement into the MMO without having a chance to see whether it is going to work or not?

It will be a fun project for me to take on and it may be useful for being a testbed for some MMO features.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Your idea is dumb!

@njl - YEP

I think it's quite prudent. Watching the log in WoW pretty much plays out like a MUD, minus the visual descriptions and movement.

You cast Flailing Arms at <Segfault>.
    <Segfault> takes 3 damage from your Flailing Arms.
    <Segfault> dies.
    You loot <Segfault> and gain.... 1 shilling and some pocket lint.

You think so? I'll be busy most of tomorrow, but maybe I can start it in the evening

Your idea is dumb!

@njl - YEP

<segfault> uses Collider Eyebrows of Doom.
    All users and NPCs die.
    End of game.

And just to add I think it'd be a very useful testbed, we don't always need full 3D visualisation for testing all components of a game never mind the MMO.
    Last edited by fatgav; 02-19-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: double posting :/

This would be a great thing to have for testing systems without the need for graphics or sound systems.

XNA Tip #1: Take it easy on the garbage collector, and your performance will thank you.

I'm a huge fan of MUDs and I think making a text based MUD that resembles the MMO would be fun and pretty awesome. However, I'm not sure it makes the most sense for testing the MMO.

Most of the time graphics and game play are so tightly coupled that seperating the two doesnt' make sense. For example, a combat system in a text based game might just be a function call to caculate damage. However in a graphical game you might want a damage flyoff to take place after the enemy sword swing animation completes. This means you might need to break up how you calculate damage so that it is synched up with animation and sound. This is just one small example of dozens of little things that will be different. Combat systems in a graphics based game are enormously more complex than those in a text base game BECAUSE of the graphics and sound. I guess you could test number crunching in the text version but that' doesn't really make alot of sense to me. The bottom line is that most systems in a text based game are going to look totally different when you add graphics, which will pretty much invalidate your tests in most cases.

My 2 cents is that it would be very cool to just do this for fun because I think there are quite a few MUD fans out there

Agreed with you on some points, but I don't think it will be completely useless. Things like crafting, economy, quests etc. can be tested to see how everything flows and what kind of player behaviour manifests itself as a result of the systems that are put into it. Its kind of like a brief idea of what you will have if you put them into the actual game, but at a fraction of the cost of testing them for real

Your idea is dumb!

@njl - YEP

Running a mud would be a great precursor to running an MMO. I ran a mud years ago and still talk to people who run/code MUD stuff. I might even have my old sourcecode laying around somewhere.

While there are obviously huge differences in which gameplay is handled between a mud and an mmo, I believe learning how to properly design and implement gameplay mechanics on a MUD would be an absolutely worthwhile endeavor, as the logical and imaginative skillsets needed to implement such systems in text are the same logical and imaginative skillsets needed to implement such systems in "leet graphicx". :P

If you get enough interest in the idea, I'll donate my codebase, as well as go find all the other codebases out there. Some really good ideas have been implemented that I think you might like.
    Last edited by Staves; 02-19-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Changing my offer! :D
    Official Nelson talking points breakdown: programming, mt dew, coffee, mcdonalds = 96%, guns = 3%, beer, boat, island = 1%

(4:06:05 PM) rflx: [23:03:45] <Adam1> well... he'll be running.. *puts on sunglasses* .. out of ammo. *YYEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH*
    (4:06:08 PM) rflx: ^^ fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Agreed with you on some points, but I don't think it will be completely useless. Things like crafting, economy, quests etc. can be tested to see how everything flows and what kind of player behaviour manifests itself as a result of the systems that are put into it. Its kind of like a brief idea of what you will have if you put them into the actual game, but at a fraction of the cost of testing them for real
    Cool, i'll be interested in seeing what you come up with

Quote Originally Posted by jjguzzardo View Post
    Cool, i'll be interested in seeing what you come up with
    I'm always interested in seeing what Seggy comes up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast