Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    If I can put my 2 cents in here..I want to thank Project-A for pointing this out for us all so early on...I had no idea like so many in the class that our code could so easily get out and be decompiled....now thats knowledge I'll be more aware of when we are done with the class and actually publish things to the public. In the spirit of us all being MMO students, I dont consider any harm done, nobody decompiled the code and posted it elsewhere that im aware of claiming it to be their own...merely a few questions were asked and concerns raised...I think all of that was good. It shows the 3dbuzz team that they have a good group of students that worry about some important issues and by bringing them forward and not keeping them hidden we've shown a very serious issue to be addressed at a later date. Nobody wants to build a MMO that's super easy for players to create bots and cheats for...reminds me very much of Age of Conan..where all the giant guilds are running the AOC radar and other cheat programs..that everyone knows about but nobody tells the dev's about cause they dont want it to get fixed.

I don't think Zak or any of the other 3dbuzz guys should take this as anything more then just knowledge awareness...a flaw was pointed out...we all learned something from it, now we'll just keep going...I rather like us students being so actively involved in the MMO, rather then just watching a video well others get to make all the decisions. This class I think was ment to be active and interactive, so lets continue in that spirit.

Well I have to agree with Zak whole heartedly. It is one thing to mention there is a concern and another to tell everyone how to "hack" things. For me that is the most upsetting part about this post since you are essentially bypassing their wishes to keep this as an R&D stage by telling people how to get the code. On the other note, why would they spend hours of their time securing a demo that is for the class only. No one else sees this besides class members, so please keep that in mind and don't share this with the world. If this stuff continues or things get leaked, we are going to end up causing the class structure to change due to the team being apprehensive to share things with us.

Sorry if my comments offend but I really appreciated the demo and would hate to see items like this get pulled because people can't be patient or don't think before posting.

-Dane
    You know you want to!

>we are going to end up causing the class structure to change due to the team being apprehensive to share things with us

That would be a sad day if that happened.

I very much enjoy the "in-the-trenches" style of the videos and would hope that would not change. I very much like Jason's approach of, if it can at all be educational to the students then lets record and share it. The next part may sound bad but.... I even like when they make mistakes in video, it shows me perhaps common pitfalls that I may encounter, their debugging/trouble shooting approach, and allows me to relate because goshdarnit I make misteaks too.

-trek
    Last edited by trekker; 02-21-2011 at 03:16 PM.

I agree. I don't think mistakes are a bad thing at all. Most programmers I speak to say they spend 70% of their time researching and 30% implementing . So I am sure lots of people make mistakes and it is expected.

-Dane
    You know you want to!

It's just a R&D demo. Not a finished product where there was an accept this license agreement or else clause.

I wouldn't worry about this guys. You are all blowing it way out of proportion. It's been a known fact for a while that the Unity executable's are not secured. People who are new to unity may not know about it. So it might be a concern to someone who was about to spend the full price for the pro tools, to just learn this as the deal breaker.

I would like to think that majority of our beloved Member Sponsors are good and can be trusted. Hey there are some IT Professionals here too. It's not like Project-A posted the source. Or this is how you blah on a public forum. I don't think Member Sponsors are all in a rush to decompile this code. What is the point? We are just going to get a new set of videos which will supersede this demo anyway.

As far as new challenges - I would rather see students post their own demos toward 3dbuzz challenges. Someone might solve a more complex problem through bits and pieces of collaborative works. Example Normal Parallax Mapping donation from JJ.

Bump - the trail if you are still too worried. If a Member Sponsor has truly bad intentions in signing up for this class, believe me they already know what they want and how to get at it. At this point I wouldn't waste time obfuscating R&D demos. Better time could be used holding down the 'W' key. However Project-A point would be a good idea to keep the topic in a separate Thread sticky of course Title it more appropriately. E.g. General Options for Protecting your Work in the long term.
    Last edited by tomo; 02-21-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Sadly, tomo, you're missing the big picture.

Even beyond the shift in focus, which we are indeed trying to avoid, there's the added problem of content from this class going out to NON Member Sponsor friends of current class members. It's already happening, and with a lot more than this demo. For that reason alone, it'll be a good idea to obfuscate or simply avoid this sort of thing moving forward, as people outside this class have no idea the significance of the R&D that goes into that demo, and may draw inaccurate (and potentially damaging) conclusions from what they see. Again, it's the alpha testing mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    there's the added problem of content from this class going out to NON Member Sponsor friends of current class members. It's already happening, and with a lot more than this demo.
    It's already happening? That's sad... and annoying I'd certainly understand if you choose to keep all of this in house because of stuff like that.
    A wise man once said to me, "life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid" - Duthos

As for the original poster, security has nothing to do with reading source code. That's called "security through obscurity" and it's not form of security at all. I can still see your code when you load it from the server.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Sadly, Zak that's always going to be a problem in this field of work. The trouble is there really isn't anything you can do about leeching. Posting source code in videos doesn't make it any harder for them. I hope you can at least isolate the culprit(s) after going through the 100 class members. I wouldn't be surprised if other member sponsors that are not part of this class are also ease dropping.

In terms of Big Picture it might help to review the token base pricing model a bit further. Limit non members to buy tokens for a block of videos in any series with the caveat that they have to follow the video sequence in order. It doesn't matter which month it's used in, or which month they signed up. Say that a $20 token gets you a set of videos 1 - 15 (note they don't get access to locked forums). This could be 1-5 of this, & 1-7 of that (let them jump around). Obviously this may seem like a deal for a relatively short series but for training that scales into the 100+ hrs, you be far better off getting a premium membership. Heck even free member access could be limited to a token based system that expires from month to month without accumulation. Some people are missing out on the total value your service is offering as they aren't able to preview the things that interest them. This is a little different from what Jason proposed where as a month of Member Sponsorship gets you to unlock a month worth of videos. The moral of the story here is that free members want in, maybe a token system can wet the appetite towards a Member Sponsorship.

I'm just putting in my 2 cents here and I don't mean to offend people by it. I cannot say that any part of my idea will work. I understand that their probably is a vast combination of things that you guys battling with every day in the war against piracy that I couldn't even begin to fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Even beyond the shift in focus, which we are indeed trying to avoid, there's the added problem of content from this class going out to NON Member Sponsor friends of current class members. It's already happening, and with a lot more than this demo. For that reason alone, it'll be a good idea to obfuscate or simply avoid this sort of thing moving forward, as people outside this class have no idea the significance of the R&D that goes into that demo, and may draw inaccurate (and potentially damaging) conclusions from what they see. Again, it's the alpha testing mentality.
    This sucks. If it comes down to not releasing R&D stuff, it will be disappointing. But I can't say that I am not surprised. There is always people who screw things up for everyone else. It won't change much in the quality of content coming out of this class, but will inhibit class participation in some ways. Boo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast