Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    You're not suppose to tell them how to do it Project-A. Guess now I'll have to go and obfuscate and hide things before I let you guys play test what I'm working on. Of course that will probably mean less time to putting out playable demos and recording R&D videos.

Well we are all building a MMO, security is a huge part of this I was a bit shocked when I noticed it, never looked at it. But besides calculating stuff on server, someone can just add his own monobehaviour. But I am already working on some solutions which are fun and with some smart tricks. In code checking if there is a debugger attached or if the code is begin debugged other way by timing how fast code is running. And when that is the case I will redirect the code flow to other part of the assembly that is not used for the game in a loop. Native ofcourse
    Bug? That's not a bug, that's a feature.
    LinkedIn - Twitter (dutch) - Work (dutch)

Well we are all building a MMO, security is a huge part of this...etc.
    Correction: We're not making an MMO in this case. We're just putting together some very basic proofs of concept; sketches, really, to test out some ideas. No mention has been made to this point of securing the code, in the spirit of this just being an in-house test. We were simply hoping to provide you with the fruits of our labor and allow you to see it for yourself. Unfortunately, Lee's gesture of handing you his result has been turned into something else entirely by delving into its security and posting the directions on how to crack it.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and certainly see the points, but I'm highly concerned at this sudden shift of focus from one topic to another. It makes just as much sense for you to make a thread stating that you're concerned that the demo had no inventory system or quest layout. It just hasn't been approached yet.

Please, let's think about this for a second; of course this project hasn't been secured, nor has it been refined into a finalized idea. Nor has it been made into a fully playable game. As it turns out, it also lacks just about all of the other essential game elements we'll be adding to the MMO as we go along. It's just a test of a singular theory, nothing more.

Sadly, decompiling it and walking the rest of the class through the process of 'hacking' it (especially after we'd made a challenge regarding a play factor of the demo) does nothing but prove that we really should just be spending our time producing the videos, and that treating the class members as true in-house developers is very likely a mistake on our part. Justification for the alpha testing mentality, I suppose.

Because of this, I sincerely feel it may be better for the class all around if we just keep these sort of tests strictly within 3D Buzz, and leave showcasing and interaction to the videos. This will allow us more focus on the topic at hand without straying to things outside the scope of the current lecture.

Thanks,

Zak

PS - Please don't think me harsh; I have to consider a lot of angles in terms of the overall flow and direction of 3D Buzz as a whole, this class included. Security is certainly something we're going to be dealing with, and will obviously be paramount to the MMO. At such time, we'll be releasing tests specifically for the purpose of you trying to crack them, but please understand that I'll have to come in and correct you again if, when we do that, you make a post stating that the security demo should have a greater focus on its terrain system!

It's sad to read you zak. the Demos were a great idea and very fun. But it's also fair. You need to steer this boat for the best of the class.

Zak is right, its going to be really difficult to get anything cohesive to work if people are not going to stay focused on the actual topic at hand. If this is happening at the proof of concept and design stage then surely the problem is only going to escalate? Maybe Project-A might realise it was a mistake to post about this at the time and will try to keep things on topic from now on. I personally am liking the privilege as a class member of being considered somewhat part of the team, in that I am able to contribute my own ideas and thoughts to the thought process over at 3dbuzz and I would be bitterly disappointed if something like this would cause that privilege to be removed, and I'm pretty sure the majority of the class feels the same way.

Cheers,

Andrew

Your idea is dumb!

@njl - YEP

Don't get me wrong; this isn't a reprimand, and I totally understand (and appreciate!) the spirit of this thread. At the same time, we can't really delve into every single thing that is going to be lacking on each R&D segments we create. If that means it's best for us to just stick with video production, then I'm really fine with that.

I under stand what you say Zak, thats why I started the topic with "Just wanted to make people aware". I was a bit in shocked when I noticed the folders, as I never did take a look at it before. Athought I have already made some test stuff on this topic says more about my enthusiasm, but the topic was more as an observation then as something to start work on already For now I am working on the Mind Map tool, so this will have my focus for the next 2 days.
    Bug? That's not a bug, that's a feature.
    LinkedIn - Twitter (dutch) - Work (dutch)

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Because of this, I sincerely feel it may be better for the class all around if we just keep these sort of tests strictly within 3D Buzz, and leave showcasing and interaction to the videos. This will allow us more focus on the topic at hand without straying to things outside the scope of the current lecture.
    I understand how you feel, but wouldn't that be a bit of overkill? I mean, sure, someone used the demo in the wrong way, but not all of us did Wouldn't be better to just delete such topics if they are being posted and send a PM to the OP stating that it should not discuss that kind of things?

I enjoyed very much the demo Lee put together and I'd hate not to have the chance to see more of them.
    Last edited by Artanis; 02-19-2011 at 10:30 AM.
    Artanis

My Blog (Italian): http://www.artanis.it
    My Web Site (Italian/English): http://www.fabriziotobia.com
    My Community (Italian): http://www.darksithlords.it

Well I have been using reflector on alot of things Unity related. every time someone releases a project like this and I want to know how they did it I crack it open with reflector. So this is kind of a normal thing I think, the reflector tool has even been posted in the Unity forums and info on non-documented Unity methods was posted with that. Thats how I found out about Unity's lack of protection. I agree that it should not be the focus of the class just yet, obviously it has it's time and place but I think Project-A was just suprised at how unprotected Unity projects are in general. I was suprised when I first found out.

I was thinking of posting about it as well but decided not too mostly for the reasons Zak mentioned. I cant wait till we get to the security aspects of the mmo though ... man thats gonna be a fun few weeks!

But if you just obfuscate the code, surely no one at this point in the design process would want to put time and effort into de-obfuscating(?) the code...? I loved the fact that Lee posted the demo so we could give it a try ourselves, I'd hate for that to stop.
    Technical Artist at LuGus Studios
    www.lugus-studios.be

nielsVaes.be

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast