Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Things I wish Unity could do or do better? That would be a very long list.

For starters:
    - 64 bit support
    - thread safe so I can access the api stuff from outside the main thread
    - fix the profiler it is pretty much useless
    - debugging support for visual studio
    - DirectX 11 / OpenGL 4 support (or at least more access to video hardware)
    - Stencil buffers
    - The ability to use real shaders in addition to shaderlab (it would be nice to be able to export from FXComposer or MentalMill)
    - Better garbage collection
    - Access to PhysX, FMod, Umbra and ZBeast from the API
    - fix editor memory leaks with meshes and materials
    - make assigning a custom collision mesh faster
    - access to do mesh instancing on the gpu

I could keep going and going but you probably get the hint.
    “little expense has been spared to give the impression that no expense has been spared.” - Douglas Adams

You know from all these problems I see people posting about here and in the Unity forums for whats missing I start to wonder why we think Unity3d is the right engine for this MMO? Sure its easy to use and everything but there are plenty of things out there that allow a lot more access to do what you want without having to write yourself a whole engine. Things like open source engines (Ogre 3d or Irrlicht this even has a C# wrapper if we would want C#) and such. With these 2 open source projects the Licenses would be no problem MIT and ZLIB respectfully.

Why are we so adamant at using Unity3d for this?
    Last edited by Seridaq; 04-27-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Yes there are a lot of things that make Unity limiting and there are probably better choices of game engines for this MMO. But Unity does have several things going for it as has been discussed many times before by us. The biggest thing is that it uses C# and not C++ which immediately lowers the entry point for many programmers who would have a very difficult time with many of the other engines out there. It also has a large market penetration for relatively low entry cost. Couple this with the new training coming over asset production with Blender and Messiah and you have a very compelling reason to use Unity. Also there is a lot of people who are interested in learning Unity because it is so popular so while we will have to limit some aspects of the MMO because of Unity's limitations there is a lot to be gain by making the community aware of them so they start pushing Unity to improve. Which may in turn help us push the MMO further as Unity improves.

Oh and don't worry even if we got some angel investors and the bought me a Unreal 3 or some other high dollar engine license I would still find things to complain about. It's what I do to relieve stress.
    “little expense has been spared to give the impression that no expense has been spared.” - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by chronos78 View Post
    The biggest thing is that it uses C# and not C++ which immediately lowers the entry point for many programmers who would have a very difficult time with many of the other engines out there. It also has a large market penetration for relatively low entry cost.
    Both of those open source engines I listed have .net wrappers, and both of them have no cost to use all the features which would not limit anyone from using anything no matter what we did. OK I do get where your coming from though, unity is so much easier to use even if we had full C# support for both the engines as neither have a good level creator or anything.

The low cost entry point is great but I think there is going to be a fact that if we want anything cool to happen we are going to have to shell out 1500 bucks and still not be able to do everything we wanted. (Although you guys already have pro )

As for assets, blender can export to Ogre meshes and Irrlict uses the same ones (I believe, I look at it a long time ago). We would probably have problems with Messiah tho.

Ok I'm just ranting here so I'm done it just seems strange to limit ourselves unless there are hurdles that would make it take like another year to finish this, which switching engines could.

Edit: BTW using either of these engines is probably not a good idea as Ogre is only a graphics engine, yes there are plugins and people have things that work great with them to add input, physics and sound but they are not updated and such. Irrlict I don't remember if its a full engine or not. You would have to use something like C4 or NeoAxis but they cost money...
    Last edited by Seridaq; 04-27-2011 at 01:58 PM.

- agreed on the thread safety - especially considering single thread CPUs don't really exist anymore and every tech paper I've read in the last 3 years talks about (the necessity of) multi threading in games to get a decent framerate.

- I thought shader lab was a wrapper for cg/hlsl/glsl, so you could nest the code in there. I share your frustration with the moronic indentation - I came across it the first time I used it.

- can't/shouldn't you do gc manually with idisposable, like xna and slimdx?

Quote Originally Posted by duke22 View Post
    - I thought shader lab was a wrapper for cg/hlsl/glsl, so you could nest the code in there. I share your frustration with the moronic indentation - I came across it the first time I used it.
    It is sort of. Except that it doesn't support the full implementations of any of them just what they thought would be useful. Then there is the fact that Unity complies your shader into some other form completely for use in the game so what the final form looks like isn't really compatible with any of today's modern shader building software package. So unless you really enjoy coding your shaders entirely by hand this kinda sucks. There is some progress being made with a few material editors but they still have a way to go before I would call them production level and since they aren't officially part of Unity there is no telling if they will continue to work as Unity evolves.

- can't/shouldn't you do gc manually with idisposable, like xna and slimdx?
    Won't make a difference. The problem isn't with C# code and the objects that I make the problem is with Unity objects that the editor hangs onto and will not release which eventually leads to the editor crashing. Luckily this seems to only be and issue with the webplayer or when running the game in the editor, once built out as a standalone it runs perfectly. This is a real issue while developing since about ever 10 times I run the game I need to restart Unity because it runs out of memory. Really slows down my work flow.

Angry

Change a parameter for ALL selected objects of the same type at once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...point...clamp...advanced ...point...clamp...advanced ...point...clamp...advanced ...point...clamp...advanced ...point...clamp...advanced ...
    Last edited by fatgav; 04-27-2011 at 06:34 PM.

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Quote Originally Posted by fatgav View Post
    Change a parameter for ALL selected objects of the same type at once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...point...clamp...advanced ...point...clamp...advanced ...point...clamp...advanced ...point...clamp...advanced ...point...clamp...advanced ...
    But see you can do that with a script. My question was more to do with being able to do absolutely nothing about an issue, either because it was hidden somewhere in the native code, or simply because there was no access to a particular feature (ie. stencil buffer).

It's like people bitching about the GUI - you can, with time, patience, and skills, write your own - complete with minimal drawcalls, a succinct API and realtime editor.

Quote Originally Posted by duke22 View Post
    But see you can do that with a script.
    But see; you shouldn't have to do that with a script, given that it's a fundamental interface problem!

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

I'm trying to catch you Lee... but you got so far... The sneak peak of your work we saw yestarday was amazing!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xkterrain1.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	71631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xkterrain2.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	71632  
    Last edited by xavierk; 04-29-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415