Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    If the size of the stored height data is an issue, perhaps you could use it as a logarithmic value? That way you can get mountains miles tall at the extreme ends and smoothness lower down.
    ( ! ) Assets/_Scripts/TP_Camera.cs(50,35): BCE0000: WTF?

For those who want there MMO's to take place in Tibet

It take 3 and half minutes to run down that beast, good luck getting up it.

Quote Originally Posted by D.M.J. View Post
    If the size of the stored height data is an issue, perhaps you could use it as a logarithmic value? That way you can get mountains miles tall at the extreme ends and smoothness lower down.
    It's not so much data storage as it is getting the sense of scale while still balancing out game play. Sure I can make Mount Everest 1:1 but who'd want to spend a week to climb it? I do like the idea of using a logarithmic scale to the height think I'l give that a shot here in a few.
    Last edited by chronos78; 02-19-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Hmm...not too sure if that could be made into a Tibet/Nepal combination? Like the whole Himalayan region?
    PC Specs: Antec 900 ATX Case, Gigabyte 790GX Mobo, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Corsair HX620W PSU, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600, EVGA GTX 680 2GB GDDR5, 3D Vision Kit 2, LG 8x Blu-ray Burner, Intel X25-M SSD, 500GB+640GB WD Caviar Blacks, Win 7 Pro x64, DAS Pro K/B, MX518 Mouse, Logitech Z-2300 Speakers, Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 3DTV, Wacom Bamboo Fun Large Tablet.

I'm personall fond of higher and lower elevation areas in the world because I think it'd be awesome to have critter ecosystems that are influenced by the elevation, with different species being more suited and adapted for higher elevation climates and terrain.
    Hello everyone and welcome to another 3DBuzz VTM, and tonight we'll be programming in Brain****!

I didn't think that giant mountains were going to work out but I'll admit it I was wrong.

This just looks frak'n cool and it's even cooler running around in it. Thanks D.M.J for reminding me about logarithmic scales. In the end I ended up using an exponential function but same principle. Now to get some vertex smoothing in place so I can tone down the jagged points everywhere.

Okay one more for a sense of scale, same mountain different spot about half way up.

Last edited by chronos78; 02-19-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Now that's a freaking mountain Lee! That's where your epic Elythian creatures will roost!

I have a question, and not sure if you addressed it elsewhere... but this isn't your intended mesh density for the terrain, correct? Just the way it is now for R&D purposes? Obviously you don't want to go too much higher, but right now it's a bit low of course.
    Last edited by Raziaar; 02-19-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    Hello everyone and welcome to another 3DBuzz VTM, and tonight we'll be programming in Brain****!

Quote Originally Posted by Raziaar View Post
    Now that's a freaking mountain Lee!
    My thoughts exactly! That just looks awesome. How much higher is it than the one before?

That's where your epic Elythian creatures will roost!

I have a question, and not sure if you addressed it elsewhere... but this isn't your intended mesh density for the terrain, correct? Just the way it is now for R&D purposes? Obviously you don't want to go too much higher, but right now it's a bit low of course.
    That's an interesting question.

were is the snow for thoose large mountains... lol
    Very very impressive!
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

I picture a Buddhist monastery or something like that hanging from one of those cliffs.
    That's what I call an immersive world.

Have to say I thought Buzz was insane when he said he wanted Mt Everest, but I have to admit that mountain does look cool. But can you climb it or are the mountains only going to be accessible with some sort of flying mount/machine?

And true if we get mountain and seas etc. we could have weather systems and ecosystems etc. based on real systems. With mountains that high you’re not only going to need snow but low cloud too
    Last edited by Julie1364; 02-20-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast