Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks DMJ.

Yeah, I knew that Lee was changing the resolution based on distance, but I just didn't know what LOD stood for.

As those of you who tuned in for the radio show last night know, Jason and I went a bit back and forth on whether or not 512m was enough altitude to convincingly portray mountains.

Here's some proof to back up my side of the discussion.

Okay so I was playing with some of the new post effects that shipped with Unity 3.2

Also decided that there should probably be an image to give the mountain a sense of scale. See that mountain way in the back the one that is just a silhouette? Here is the same mountain again from about 1/3rd of the way up it.

And that's a mountain that isn't even the full 255m above sea level.

Some of you've probably also noticed that this terrain doesn't look anything like any of the other screen shots up to now. That's because I've been working on a new technique to procedurally generate the terrain instead of using a tileable 2k heightmap. With this new technique I'm able to store unique non repeating data for 1,656 sq miles of terrain using less than 7MB of space. While not the insanely huge world as yesterday it would still take over 3hrs to walk from one side to the other. I'm thinking that should be more than big enough for our needs.

Great screenie, the light streaming effect on the mountains looks rather brilliant, and I do agree that anything beyond 512m isnt very necessary, unless you wanted to create a specific and recognizable bit of terrain that would probably end up being modelled instead of procedurally generated anyway.
    Dangerous. Mute. Lunatic.
    <Toastage>: and you're like "Ey Joe it is Smismar, I am belgium, ishn't that veird. Fix mai internetz or I cut you yehs?"

that's about 40 miles a side?

with that scale 512m variation looks like more than enough.
    But for the ultra-insanely huge world of the demo didn't sound like enough. It's asking for an extra byte for the hight.

Beautiful.

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

Great stuff Lee! Honestly, with my personal preference I think the mountain heights could be increased more, but it's of course not up to me.
    Hello everyone and welcome to another 3DBuzz VTM, and tonight we'll be programming in Brain****!

Here's a variation that is a little easier to get around in.

Will this system allow you to, for example, create specific terrain geometry in set locations - for cities, rivers, lakes etc. ? And great work as usual Lee.

XNA Tip #1: Take it easy on the garbage collector, and your performance will thank you.

That first picture is really pretty. Yeah that might be good enough for a game. But really, they look more like big hills then mountains to me. I could still see a mountain being twice that, for as close as that looks to the player.

It really depends on what you are after. If you make something too big, then it will take to long to walk to it, or in this case, up it. But then there are always mounts and vehicles that could get you there really fast. Now if we are using those, and I am sure we are, it will really change the sense of scale. With that in mind, I think we may need at least twice that size. But I don't know for sure, that is just my impression at this time.

The latest screen shots look awesome, are we going to get a chance to run around the level any time soon?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast